Bell Pepper Seeds

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
hermiwormi

Bell Pepper Seeds

Post by hermiwormi » Thu May 24, 2018 8:51 pm

I was slicing a few pieces of bell peppers for my crabs to add in to their food and I want to give them a few of the seeds. Are they safe for the crabs? I haven't given other seeds, but not those from bell peppers.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

piratetoothgir

Re: Bell Pepper Seeds

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 pm

hermiwormi wrote:I was slicing a few pieces of bell peppers for my crabs to add in to their food and I want to give them a few of the seeds. Are they safe for the crabs? I haven't given other seeds, but not those from bell peppers.

Yes, as long as the peppers are organic :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Thu May 24, 2018 8:54 pm

StellaCrab wrote:
hermiwormi wrote:I was slicing a few pieces of bell peppers for my crabs to add in to their food and I want to give them a few of the seeds. Are they safe for the crabs? I haven't given other seeds, but not those from bell peppers.

Yes, as long as the peppers are organic :)
The peppers are organic. I only shop for organic fruits and vegetables when feeding fresh foods. I have heard someone talking about cyanide in the seeds and I didn't know if I could feed them the pepper seeds or not. I will also plant some of the seeds for growing more peppers Image

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Mine never eat the seeds, so I don't think it matters!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 pm

wodesorel wrote:Mine never eat the seeds, so I don't think it matters!
Huh, mine never did either Image
Crabber Since 2016

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:19 am

coming late to the party (as always), but I've found that while my guys don't care for bell peppers (flesh or seeds, won't touch either), they go wild for chilis (fresh or dehydrated, both flesh and seeds) - the hotter the better, it seems.

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:40 am

Didn't know you could feed them spicy peppers

ғɪᴠᴇ ᴘᴘs: ᴋᴏᴀ, ᴍᴏᴊᴀ, sɪᴀᴍ, ᴏᴢᴀʀᴋ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇʟʟᴀ

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:coming late to the party (as always), but I've found that while my guys don't care for bell peppers (flesh or seeds, won't touch either), they go wild for chilis (fresh or dehydrated, both flesh and seeds) - the hotter the better, it seems.
I don't know where to find chili peppers. I look in my produce section but not sure. I've seen a bag of dried peppers but seems to have other ingredients.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
gunstreet.girl wrote:coming late to the party (as always), but I've found that while my guys don't care for bell peppers (flesh or seeds, won't touch either), they go wild for chilis (fresh or dehydrated, both flesh and seeds) - the hotter the better, it seems.
I don't know where to find chili peppers. I look in my produce section but not sure. I've seen a bag of dried peppers but seems to have other ingredients.
There are all sorts of chile peppers. Serranos, jalapeño, poblano (called ancho when ripened and dried), guajillo, cascabel, habañero, chile de arbol, and more.

The word chili is from the Nahuatl (one of the Aztec groups of indigenous central Americans) "chilli" and means any capsicum variety pepper.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:51 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:
There are all sorts of chile peppers. Serranos, jalapeño, poblano (called ancho when ripened and dried), guajillo, cascabel, habañero, chile de arbol, and more.

The word chili is from the Nahuatl (one of the Aztec groups of indigenous central Americans) "chilli" and means any capsicum variety pepper.

Wow. Ok. But where do I find them?
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote: I don't know where to find chili peppers. I look in my produce section but not sure. I've seen a bag of dried peppers but seems to have other ingredients.

Wow. Ok. But where do I find them?
They're usually in the produce section of major grocery stores by the carrots, lettuces, cabbages, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Not all groceries have them! We only started seeing fresh ones when our area became more ethnically diverse. They would be with the bell peppers in the produce section if there are any - they are smaller and either horn-shaped or like wrinkled tiny tomato shaped. Many dried hot peppers are smoked, but not all so always check the label! Our local stores only carry one kind that has been smoked.

Hot peppers are extremely easy to grow though! I love some of the ornamental varieties that can be found at many places that sell flowers. They are sold to be pretty, not eat, but they are edible and my crabs went crazy for them. I used to sell a few of them through my store, before I maced myself while drying them and caused an acute pepper allergy. Common ornamental hot pepper varieties are Medusa, Black Pearl, Bolivian Rainbow, Calico and Candlelight. And all of them are much much hotter than chilies!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 pm

I grow several peppers - and they are very easy to grow!! I have cowhorn, bell, jalepeño, cayenne, habenero and one other kind I just can't remember the name of it right now and it is dark and sprinkling, so I don't want to go out to the garden. Can you tell my family likes peppers? LOL!! My crabs reap the benefits too!! :) All of mine are organic. :)

I started all of mine in the spring.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 am

GotButterflies wrote:I grow several peppers - and they are very easy to grow!! I have cowhorn, bell, jalepeño, cayenne, habenero and one other kind I just can't remember the name of it right now and it is dark and sprinkling, so I don't want to go out to the garden. Can you tell my family likes peppers? LOL!! My crabs reap the benefits too!! :) All of mine are organic. :)

I started all of mine in the spring.
Yeah, I'm not a gardener. Lol. I shop.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:41 am

I hadn't ever thought or known that you can offer the crabs a type of spicy pepper.
Crabber Since 2016