Cuttlebone question

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
hermie3

Cuttlebone question

Post by hermie3 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi there!

New crab owner here. I see many sources saying cuttlebone should be available. When I look online to get some, I see it listed in the bird care section. It looks like a piece of bone/stone-like material. Is this what I am looking for? And how do I feed it to the crabs- just put the hunk into the tank? Grind it up? Is this something that should be made available daily? Thanks!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cuttlebone question

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Yes, that's exactly what you are looking for!
You can grind it up if you want, but many of us just stick the whole chunk in the sand. Like a surf board (or tomb stone according to MotorCrab!).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi yes it most likely will be in the bird stuff since that’s what it’s most used for. What I do is I leave the hole thing in the tank for them to nibble on and I take chunks off and crush it into a calcium powder with crushed shells and crushed egg shells that I sprinkle on there food. It is not necessary if u provide other sources of calcium daily but most think it is a very easy way to provide part of there weekly calcium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Sorry curly I did not see your reply before I posted mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
hermie3

Post by hermie3 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:21 am

Thank you both so much!