Is Higgins mineral grit safe for hermit crabs

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Melissa.lopez89

Is Higgins mineral grit safe for hermit crabs

Post by Melissa.lopez89 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:53 pm

:) Hello

http://www.higginspremium.com/mineralgrit

Oyster Shell, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Natural Anise Flavor

Is this safe for hermit crabs

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is Higgins mineral grit safe for hermit crabs

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:17 pm

Copper Sulfate is one of the preservatives that isn't considered safe. And while crabs do require vitamins and minerals, these may or may not be excess doses.
Was it the calcium that you were hoping to supplement? Things like Cuttle Bone and egg shells are great sources of calcium.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Melissa.lopez89

Post by Melissa.lopez89 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:59 am

Thank you ! Yes. I was hoping to cover the calcium and other necessary minerals but I cannot find specific mineral list that they need. I threw out this bag of Higgins grit. It is not safe for hermit crabs. Thank you!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:30 pm

Have you had a look at the 'nutrition' guide? If you follow it, your crabs will get all the nutrients they need! As for minerals, they get the needed ground minerals from dechlorinated tap water, and marine minerals from Instant Ocean.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:29 pm

There are crab safe options that are sold for birds. Plain cuttlebone is cheap at any pet store. Plain calcium grit that is just Oyster shells and coral with nothing added, Mana Pro has one that is easy to find at farm stores and even some walmarts. Also any food item that has a shell or exoskeleton will provide more calcium, like mealworms, crickets, shrimp, daphnia, etc.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

steven1453

Post by steven1453 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:57 am

Melissa.lopez89 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:53 pm
:) Hello

http://www.higginspremium.com/mineralgrit

Oyster Shell, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Natural Anise Flavor

Is this safe for hermit crabs
I heard before "Copper Sulfate" may be unuseful for your crabs...

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:00 pm

I often just drop fresh egg shells I'm my tat, the crabs love the bonus egg white