Chlorine in commercial foods?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Chlorine in commercial foods?

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:59 pm

I was looking at the ingredients of my commercial food that I received with the starter kit several months ago, and one of the ingredients was choline chloride. I checked it on wikipedia, and here was the definition:
The chloride ion is formed when the element chlorine picks up one electron to form an anion (negatively-charged ion).
So does that mean it has chlorine in the food?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:01 pm

I would think so. Instead of buying commercial food though, try getting food from NarNar. I think that is what most people on this website do too. Some commercial food can have ethoxyquin, which is a very bad preservative for crabs. To sum it up, try giving your crabbies fresh food instead of commercial. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:12 am

Let’s be careful here. If you look up choline chloride on wikipedia or on google you will find that choline chloride is a food additive. For some animals it is beneficial. Some governments consider it a vitamin. Chlorine has reacted with several different atoms to form choline chloride and no longer has the same properities as chlorine.

Most crabbers provide their crabs with sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is salt and has totally different properties than sodium or chlorine.