Hermit Crab Organic Food - Would You Buy It?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Would You Buy Organic Food For Your Hermit Crabs?

Yes
55%
Maybe
45%
No
No votes

Total votes: 11

Topic author

Hermit Crab Organic Food - Would You Buy It?

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

Me and my friend have done a lot of research on different hermit crab foods, and nutrients hermit crabs require. So I have decided to start selling organic hermit crab food. I have ordered all the supplies required to start making the food.

Now my only question is, who is willing to purchase organic food for your hermit crabs? We will be selling a wide variety of organic foods.

We will also provide worldwide shipping.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:58 pm

i'm definitely willing to as long as the food and shipping are both reasonable! :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:59 pm

How much are you willing to pay?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:03 pm

What would you be putting into your crab food? And how perishable would it be? Do you have any more details about the product?

I really don't like buying the commercial crab food because I don't really know what's in it. But I don't know enough about crabs yet to feel comfortable making my own. So a product like this would be very good for newbies like me. Though, I think we all would like to hear more about it before commenting on whether or not we would purchase it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:08 pm

Ok, we will be offering a variety types of foods, some will be dryed / Dehydrated, so it will last longer, all you will need to do is add a little bit a water to it.

Some will be jared food, that will not be dryed, but that will need to be kept refrigerated, and it will be more perishable.

I am not going list the ingredients as of yet, as i am still planning that out, trying to make it the best possible tast for the hermit crabs, with the most nutrients possible.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:20 pm

It sounds like something I would be really interested in, but like somebody else said, it would all depend on price. How big do you think your packages would be and do you have any idea what an average cost would be yet?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:27 pm

I am planning on offering packages of 1oz and 2oz.

ofcorse, the 1oz package would be cheaper, but i am planning on selling them for about $2-4 per oz (Depending on the item purchased), and $3-6 for the 2oz packages.

But remember, the prices are subject to change, as i am not sure yet what the total cost of the organic foods will be.

I want everyone to tell me what there thought of the price is... is it too high? too low? or just right?

I know the commercial food costs about $2-4 for a 2oz bottle.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:33 pm

The only thing that concerns me is the perishable food. How would you send it? Would it have to be refrigerated? Pakced in dry ice? And wouldn't that raise its cost?

The other dehydrated food sounds interesting. If the quality is good, I don't think $2-3 an ounce is too much, depending on the shipping costs.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:36 pm

Yeah, i have been trying to think that over myself... i might have to use dryice, i'm going to do a little research on how to ship that kind of foods.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:01 pm

ok, i think im going to hold off on making foods that require refrigeration for now... I'll stick with the dehydrated food untill i figure out a way to ship refrigerated foods, in a cost efficient way.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:28 pm

well, after weeks of preparing the food, i now have 2 different kinds of organic hermit crab food available for sale on ebay.

You can view them at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0013294238

AND

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0013294254