Peanut Butter

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Peanut Butter

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:33 pm

What kind of peanut butter do you all give your crabs?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:36 pm

The brand I use is crazy richards, but anything without added perservatives, salt, and hydrogenated oils would work.

Topic author

also...

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:37 pm

are the worms and crickets in the can that I feed my turtle okay for the crabbies?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:45 pm

Ive never actually looked at those cans but as long as they are just crickets or worms with no additives they should be fine.

Topic author

on the can....

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:54 pm

it just says "mealworms" but there seems to be some kind of gel or slime on them.

Topic author

nevermind

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:58 pm

these are different from the ones I bought last time. I guess before they were for the crabs I did not check the ingrediants. That was ugly of me I guess I should be more careful when feeding Travis too.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:32 pm

I'm glad you asked the peanut butter question. I'd read about others giving peanut butter, but I was concerned about the salt.

I've never seen Crazy Richards before. Do you know of any other brands that are good to feed?

MM

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:35 pm

I just went into the store and looked at all the ingredient lists. There was only one other that didnt contain salt, perservatives, or hydrogenated oils but I dont remember the name. It was peanuts and palm oil. I bought this one because it was a bigger jar for the same price.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:42 am

I feed my crabs the ZooMed Can 'O Crickets---they love them! The slime is maybe because the can has been open for too long, do you refrigerate the can? I freeze them because I don't use them up quickly enough, and they'll grow mold if they aren't kept from spoiling.

DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:32 am

Try lookin at health food stores for organic foods. I found that there are a few that charge about the same as grocery stores.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:15 am

The peanut butter that I bought is Smucker's Organic the label says Organic Roasted Peanuts, Roasted Peanut oil, contains 1% or less of salt. I have not given any to them yet because of that salt thing. I have not found one that says it doesn't have any salt. Per serving (2 tsp) it has 50 mg of sodium. Should I just let my husband eat this or do you think it's safe.