oysters a huge hit

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
troppo

oysters a huge hit

Post by troppo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:00 am

Today my crabbies got a special treat of fresh oyster still in shell and I've never seen anything like it,that crabs were gathered around the shell like it was a feeding trough!
Even though the oyster was fresh,the smell went right through the tank,I guess it's something you can't leave in too long :)
Has anyone else here fed their crabs oysters still in shell?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:31 am

ohh thanks I will have to try this! I love to find things they really love.
Right now I have one that has been in the food bowl eating for an hour and I can't remember what is in the bowl he is in and everytime I get close he ducks in his shell. I think it is crushed Brine Shrimp and Veggies!

So you don't cook oysters before putting in? Just open the shell and put in?

Topic author
troppo

Post by troppo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:44 pm

The oysters that I bought yesterday were the ones that were displayed in a half shell,they hadn't been cooked(don't people eat them raw anyway?) :) Spoilt crabs......

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:15 pm

I gave mine oysters on the half shell for the first time this week, too. Mine didn't seem too impressed, so I was mighty disappointed! :( Only one small ruggie seemed to enjoy his treat!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:41 am

I am definitely going to try that! Gives me an excuse to buy some for myself!! :lol:

Topic author
troppo

Post by troppo » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:28 pm

Kathy, perhaps your crabbies have too many other yummy things to eat :lol:

As a bonus with oysters,I can keep the shells as food dishes for other tid-bits.