Crabapple bark

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Crabapple bark

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:13 pm

I read somewhere (I can't remember where!) that crabapple tree bark is good for crabs... could someone confirm that? I would think it's safe for them, but I want to make extra sure.

Also, when you feed your crabs bark, do you soak or boil it in dechlor water, then let it dry and use it? But then I thought about how crabs eat bark on the beach all the time... I figure it doesn't need to be sterilized, 'cause hermies in the wild are exposed to all kinds of natural (even beneficial!) bacteria.

I thought I could grind it up in the food processor and add honey to it. Any suggestions on how to serve it?

Thanks guys!! :D

Topic author

crabapple bark

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:56 pm

Yep, and they love it! They love the blossoms too!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:54 pm

OOOO, I have a crabapple tree in my yard! What a great idea!!! I was just feeding mine food from the store. I am going to try this tonight!

Topic author

retry

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:58 pm

Remember that if they don't eat a new food, give it a few days and retry. The second feeding is sometimes the time they will try a new food.

Topic author
irishgirl45

food to try

Post by irishgirl45 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:58 am

I have a fresh mango I got this weekend. I mashed up some now for two days. I do not think they have tried any. I also purchased a coco nut too. I am still trying to crack it open tonight I will try to get er done. My crabs do not seem to want to try new foods. I wonder how many times should I keep putting mango in? I froze the rest and I am going to get some baby food too. Are they just used to eating the crap from the pet store? I have had them a couple of months now. 2 since July and 2 more since august. One still down stressing going on 3 weeks now and the other is just sort of hiding too. Does it really take 4-6 months to really see them adjust? Thanks

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:24 pm

Crabs eat very little at a time so they might be eating it and you just dont notice. The best way to interduce foods is to offer them then wait a few days and offer it again. Ive had to offer something up to 4 times before they'll try it. The petstore food has chemicals in it to attract them to it which is why they will eat that so easily. I dont think it takes 4-6 months, more like 4-6 weeks although some crabs adjust quicker. There are exception however, my Jumbo PP just became active recently after I've had him for almost 3 months, while others I've had act fine since day 1.

Topic author

foods

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:14 pm

kinda surprised that mango didn't work. Maybe the coconut will be more appealing. Also try walnut and apple. Mine love those!

Topic author
irishgirl45

I tried mango again tonight and apple also a little

Post by irishgirl45 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:17 pm

Tonight I put apple mango and kiwi in a little shell all smashed up for them. The coconut started to get moldy after only one day and night. I will shred it on the cheese grater next time.
Tomorrow I am going to the store and getting some of the org. baby food to try.
My crabs all but one small one are just not doing anything. Holly Hider appropriately named just stays in her hut or in the ceramic log we have for them to hid in and the new (almost 4 weeks on Kaleena is half buried ) does not do much either. We still have one down since purchase almost 4 wks ago too. I want some action, i keep reading all about the crabs do this and the crabs do that. Mine do nothing. We spend a lot of dough and time to spoil these little guys and want some movement or something. That is why I thought that maybe 4-6 months was not that far out as to when they would start moving around and enjoying the cool tat I built for them...it does not look at all like my picture it is all different, but no camera to update pictures. Soon I hope. Thanks friend [smilie=roll.gif]

Topic author

food and activity

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:36 am

I don't know that food is really the key to activity. Maybe we should be giving you some tips for improving activity. You can find out more about ways to boost activity on the Crab Behavior forum catagory, but remodeling the tank, giving baths (contraversial, I know), warmer temps, proper humidity, day and night lighting, time of day, time of year, all play a role in activity.

Tremors

Post by Tremors » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:40 am

One of my crabs that I've had for over eight months didn't start to be very active until I'd had him for more than four months. Now he is my most active crab. :)
4 PPs: Petra (11 years), Big Crab (7 years), Rambunctious Crab (7 years), John Smith (1 year)
3 Es: Pacman, Captain Janeway, Googely-Bear (2 years)

Topic author
irishgirl45

lazy crabs

Post by irishgirl45 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:25 pm

I had a crab emergency on Friday morning posted in emergency and it is under control now. The one I said was down since I got her got stuck trying to come up under the plate rack I have for the second and third levels. I moved it and out she ran naked!!! I got her back in the shell and now she is buried in the coco hut and I put her legs in with her in case she wants to finish them off. My other on is still in the hut and Miss Kaleena is half buried and not doing anything.
I got org. baby food some banana's and Pee Wee the only crab that does anything seemed to try it last night. I grated up some fresh coco nut and put it in with some HBH variety bites I got at pet co lets see if someone eats that. I guess I will just let them sleep and do what ever they want and hope no one dies or something. I keep the tat 75-80 and humidity it going between 80-90 still messing around with top trying to get it steady. They had play sand mixed with FB and It looks cool and fun to live in so we will see. I also provide salt and fresh de clore water as well. Any suggestions I am open to. By the way I am a huge survivor fan and this time they keep showing hermit crabs running all over and they are so cute to watch on the show!! I would just want to play with them if I was there. Any one else see them? Later friends.