Leaves of corn plant question

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Leaves of corn plant question

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:11 pm

Hello all. I just took the single corn cob from our 1 of 2 stalks that grew in the mini-garden.......(the rabbits ate well this spring ;) ....as well as the leaves. I was wondering if the leaves from a regular sweet corn stalk are safe to give to hermies? Dried for winter? Fresh now? Neither? Thanks bunches.

Kendra

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:45 pm

Interesting idea. I'm no expert, but I don't think it would hurt them. If the leaves were well washed (dechlor) to get rid of any possible fertilizer residues. I think the crabs would enjoy chewing on the fibres - they do with bromeliad and coconut. What does everyone else think?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:34 am

Not sure about the leaves, but I know that dry husks are very good for them & are a great source of fiber.

Topic author

Hhhmmm

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Thanks for the input. I will air-dry the husks, and oven-dry the leaves until maybe some research has been done, or I do the research myself. (no fertilizers were used at all..hehe)

kathy I LUV the hermie count til u start twitching...LOL ..I SO know the fee...feel...feeling

Kendra