Fresh Coconut

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Fresh Coconut

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:10 pm

I bought a fresh Coconut for the crabs. I put a little of the milk in a tray for them. And then hubby got a piece off of the coconut itself and it turned out pretty nice so I didn't have him cut anymore. Sebastian is in it eating the meat out of it. :lol:

I'll have pictures uploaded in a few minutes.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:21 pm

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:58 pm

Okay....I have to ask....

How does one go about OPENING a coconut??? The reason I don't buy the fresh ones, is because I am stumped!

My poor babies only get rehydrated organic coconut.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:14 pm

OK Materials needed.

1. Husband or strong next door neighbor
2. Phillips tip screwdriver
3. Large knife and hammer

Hubby can punch holes in the eye with the screwdriver. Poor the milk out.

Then hubby takes large knife and places it in the center of it. Then take hammer and hit.. Repeat till it breaks open.. :lol:

I suppose I could have done it too. But hubby did it faster. :twisted:

It was $1.50 and a really good treat for them. Once the inside starts to go bad I'll scrape it out and make it their second hut.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:44 pm

how do you know when it starts to go bad?

I had a half a coconut out for a test to see when it would go bad one time and all it did was get dried up looking and there was no bad smell.

starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:15 pm

On your materials list, Salemwitchchild, it helps the coconut open better if the next door neighbor is cute too! :wink:

I just poke an eye out with a hammer and a screwdriver...an eye of the coconut of course, not my eye...to drain the milk. Then I take it out on the cement steps and hit it with a hammer a few times until it breaks into a few pieces. You can then take a butter knife and scrape the coconut out by wedging the knife in between the meat and the shell and prying it off.
I had a half a coconut out for a test to see when it would go bad one time and all it did was get dried up looking and there was no bad smell.
That's odd. Mine always get kinda slimy and start growing orange and grey mold when they go bad.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:22 pm

yeah I tried it like 3 months ago when I wanted to make coco huts and I thought to myself "I wonder how long it takes till it goes bad"

I left a half of a coconut on the top of my dresser and just forgot about it for like a month and a half... there was no mold or discolour it was still perfectly white just looked dehydrated and still smelled like coconut ... but I dont know if I would risk giving it to my crabs

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:41 pm

Those are precious pictures! I want a coconut now, LOL! Might have to try that!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:12 am

What a cute pic! :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:45 am

starmaiden wrote:On your materials list, Salemwitchchild, it helps the coconut open better if the next door neighbor is cute too! :wink:

I just poke an eye out with a hammer and a screwdriver...an eye of the coconut of course, not my eye...to drain the milk. Then I take it out on the cement steps and hit it with a hammer a few times until it breaks into a few pieces. You can then take a butter knife and scrape the coconut out by wedging the knife in between the meat and the shell and prying it off.
That's odd. Mine always get kinda slimy and start growing orange and grey mold when they go bad.
lol. Since cute is a matter of POV I left that out.. Insert your own materials needed if mine are unacceptable.....lol.

Hubby said he should just take it outside and slam it against the pavement. But I didn't want it to shatter into many pieces. So we thought the knife method was best.

starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:10 am

Hubby said he should just take it outside and slam it against the pavement. But I didn't want it to shatter into many pieces. So we thought the knife method was best.
True. I sawed the coconuts open with a hacksaw that I wanted to use for cocohuts later. It took forever! The knife and hammer method seems like it would be a bit faster, although a bit more dangerous than the hacksaw to try single handed.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:17 am

See you just do little taps till you make a groove then you can do harder ones. That way it doesn't roll away from you. :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:00 pm

funny. i just beat the dog out of mine with a hammer in our parking garage. ^^
Last edited by Guest on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:19 pm

You have to be careful with fresh coconut because it will mold very quickly. I put some in my tank several weeks ago and it was covered in mold in about 48 hours.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:40 pm

I've been keeping an eye on it. So far so good.