burning bush

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

burning bush

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:37 pm

Two days ago, I noticed that the burning bush in our driveway was starting to turn red--the way it does in the fall. Well, I've been thinking a lot of foods that improve color since one of my crabs is kinda paling. So, the streak of red caught my eye and I snapped off a few leaves on my way out and tossed them into the crabitat when I got to work. Well, this morning one leaf was 75% eaten. Also, one of the seed pods had been partially eaten. So far everyone seems fine, so I hope I've stumbled onto a new safe food, but we're still in trial phase. Julia_crab is looking into the toxicity of the plant in question. So we shall see. . . Here's what I am calling a "burning bush":
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2362 ... ushdf5.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7916 ... uitpz2.jpg
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4624 ... nonwc9.jpg

Here is what went into the crabitat:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9126 ... ailff0.jpg
(you can see that the bottom leaf has been eaten on and the berry has part of the sheild devoured, later they mangled the berry too)

Topic author
kayla_d

Post by kayla_d » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Hmm when I first saw your post I thought uhoh toxic plant. I know its toxic to cats then I did some fast research and saw it was not on any bird list, listed as toxic, so that could mean it's ok for the crabbies.
What worries me the bush is listed as an evergreen.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/cons ... uonysp.htm

what has Julia crab said about the plant so far?

Topic author

julia's thoughts

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:46 pm

Julia says:
All righty, I'm finding it is mildly toxic to mammals, such as cats. Meaning, if a person or mammal eats of it, they could have vomiting or diarrhea. This is for many of the plants of this overall species. I've found on an edible plant site that the particular species you think you have, Euonymus alatus may have some medicinal properties and young leaves can be used for tea.

Apparently some of the plants in this genus are toxic and some are not. The fruit is listed as possibly edible as well, so I doubt you have to worry about yours eating the seed pods.

Mites, aphids, mealybugs and scale, as well as a type of caterpillar, all love that particular plant, so it does not appear to be insecticidal.

So, tentatively, based on the reception in your tank, it appears to be crab safe.

However, I know you're familiar with feeding trial rules, so give it a few weeks and keep tabs on your crew, and report back any unusual behaviors or deaths.

Topic author
kayla_d

Post by kayla_d » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:22 am

Mites, aphids, mealybugs and scale, as well as a type of caterpillar, all love that particular plant, so it does not appear to be insecticidal.
:!:
Thats good...keep us updated on the affects of the feeding and any color changes.

I have one of those bushes and really never paid any attention to it, Im going to start watching and see if the birds around here eat the berries.

Topic author

burning bush

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:59 pm

Put another branch in today and in about 30 minutes, Tank started wrestling the branch and pulling pieces to his mouth. It is kinda half-dry, half-fresh at this point, but obviously still attractive.

Topic author

burning bush

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:44 pm

I wish I had taken a before and after shot of this branch of burning bush that I left in the tank overnight. It is badly mangled! The dark green "bark" on the branch is gnawed off for a stretch of 2 full inches and about half of the leaves have been torn off and many of them are half-eaten. One of the fruits are half-eaten as well. They've never done this kind of damage to anything before! When they eat Russian olive tree leaves, 4 crabs might have done this much damage in a week. I am down to 2 crabs and they ate that much in one night! Crazy! At least in a couple of weeks we'll be really sure whether it is safe or not since they definitely sampled it well!

Topic author

burning bush ok so far

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:14 pm

Everyone is still alive and no change in normal activity. Tank is digging and picking at his coconut hut (eating bits of the hairy threads). Zamboni is burried, but he often is underground during the day.

Topic author

BURNING BUSH SAFE

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:11 pm

I think it is safe to call burning bush a safe food. My crabs are as active as ever. I am hoping there will be a molt soon, and I will report on any changes in color, if any.

Also, Cottonwood tree leaves can be considered safe. Haven't tried the cotton or the flowers or the bark yet.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:37 pm

Jedi, (just in case you see this before the email Im going to send you..that I meant to send 3 days ago :oops: ) I got your box today and I will give some of the burning bush to mine tonight and see what happens :) (Ill put some of the others in as well)
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

BURNING BUSH

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:43 pm

I hope your crabs like it as much as mine did! Let me know. Lookin' fwd to your email.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:46 pm

Hey Jedi!

Here is what I fed them based on your suggestions:
1/4tsp cottonwood leaves
1/4tsp burning bush leaves
1/4tsp russian olive leaves

I fed these at 2:30pm and within 30 seconds I had crabbies swamping the dish. Doughnut sat in the dish for a good 5 hours. By last night at 10:30 nearly ALL of the food was gone...so I must say its a hit! :D

I will watch them for the next couple weeks and see what happens...although you havent seen anything with yours so I highly doubt anything is going to happen ;)

Perhaps we could come up with some good kibble mixes sometime??? ;)
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

leaves n things

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:49 pm

no, I didn't give you anything I haven't tried out thoroughly on my own crabs. You shouldn't have any side-affects. Glad they liked my little gift!

Topic author

molted

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:59 pm

One crab is up from his underground molt. All is well. He is beautiful (perhaps a little better coloring than pre-molt). Great activity too, so no adverse affects from multiple food trials (including Mulberry leaves, burning bush, cottonwood tree leaves).