Mulberry Tree Branches

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Mulberry Tree Branches

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:22 pm

Has anyone used mulberry tree branches in their crabitat? I'd like to put a pile of sticks (woven together) for the crabs to hid in and have two large mulberry tree in my yard. Also what about using palm leaves, cut and woven ? Thanks for any help

Topic author
kayla_d

Post by kayla_d » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:07 pm

I looked into this awhile back I have 2 big mulberry trees.

I wish I had saved what I found out about the tree which made me decide not to feed the leaves and bark to the crabs. I feed the ripe fruit the crabs love it. Sorry I didnt save any of the research but something I read made me think the wood and leaves would not be safe.
the black fruit mulberry trees branches can be used as bird perches and in turtle tanks.
I do think I remember reading that in white fruit mulberry trees the leaf and bark is toxic.

Topic author

mulberry leaves

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:13 pm

Well, I did some research on mulberry leaves and most insects avoid it because the leaves are full of natural latex. Some sources indicate that the latex can be removed from the surface of the leaves. Silk worms are fed nothing but mulberry leaves, so I decided to put a dried leaf in my tank. Well, plenty of the leaf was eaten, but my food trial isn't over yet so I can't say for sure whether it is safe or not at this point. My two crabs are probably underground molting and if they survive the molt, all my fears about Mulberry leaves will be put to rest. I did not feed any bark.