Worm Casting substitutes

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Worm Casting substitutes

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:01 pm

Anyone know anything else that is like the Worm castings that Crabbagepatch sells.. Only, from some place else? Maybe, like it but different or something, but offens the same amounts of nutrients and such? I mean, much as I live the crabbagepatch and wanna support them, and buy stuff. I cant afford the S*H, specialy when it costs me more then the products I'm buying. It's just not cost effective for me.. So, anyone know, something like it? Or should I start my own worm farm? WHich heh.. yeah, like that could happen, don't even have worms here.. x.x

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:10 am

She is the first to offer that and the only as far as I know :) good question thought--she can send it a cheaper way like regular snail mail did u try that price?
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:27 am

I have never seen the stuff before. Even when I first put Tammy's stuff in the food dish, I was like, "Eeew! Dirt?".

My crabbies go CRAZY for it though, so I am going to be ordering more! I don't think that any other stores carry it, though.

starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:52 am

You might try a gardening store. I know worm castings are typically sold as an organic fertilizer and soil conditioner. :wink:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:16 pm

Yeah Herm-ez, I did. HEr cheapest USPS snailmail is $9.. Up to like $25 for either next day or 2 day UPS.. I haven't a clue why her S&H is so expensive for when buying from naples or petdiscounts is loads cheaper even for heavy things.. Eh, maybe it's just where she lives and her mail company is a bunch of meanies. :P

Try a gardening store huh.. I think I'll try that, now to go find one.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:58 am

Something for people to remember....
When shipping items, the seller also has the expense of buying boxes, bubblewrap, and other packaging stuff. That all adds up FAST. Boxes & padded envelopes are expensive!

Some sellers add their shipping material expenses to the front-end, and charge higher prices for the items themselves. Others, put their shipping material expenses into their shipping & handling charges.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:33 pm

let us know if you find some at the gardening store!

BAB

Post by BAB » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:28 pm

Mogymog wrote:HEr cheapest USPS snailmail is $9.. Up to like $25 for either next day or 2 day UPS..
Wow! I got 4 Jumbo shells, the small sized organic soil and oyster shells with shipping at $5.15. You must live further away from Flordia too. That will make your shipping costs go up considerably. OH and I used Priority too.
**Crabbing since July 2005*~*100+ successful molts**
I have a total of 2 PP's

Note:My information on crab care is NOT the only way to do things. Please research your topics.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:31 pm

Maybe there was a mistake with the shipping calculator... Priority boxes are free and under 1 pound is only $4.05 even if she did have bubble wrap it wouldn't be $5 worth... I'd email her and ask for her best shipping price I bet there was some sort of mistake.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:20 pm

Well I live in Arizona.. which is pretty much as far west as you can get in the United states and still be here, short of cali. Which is probably why it's so danged high. Just sucks really. Online buying is murder with S&H from most places.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:51 pm

You might want to e-mail her....sometimes the shipping calculator on the site comes up too high. The actual shipping price is probably lower. But, yeah, check around at gardening stores. Just make sure the worm castings there are organic and don't have anything added.

Topic author

Re: Worm Casting substitutes

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:57 pm

Mogymog wrote:Anyone know anything else that is like the Worm castings that Crabbagepatch sells.. Only, from some place else? Maybe, like it but different or something, but offens the same amounts of nutrients and such? I mean, much as I live the crabbagepatch and wanna support them, and buy stuff. I cant afford the S*H, specialy when it costs me more then the products I'm buying. It's just not cost effective for me.. So, anyone know, something like it? Or should I start my own worm farm? WHich heh.. yeah, like that could happen, don't even have worms here.. x.x
How big a batch can you handle? I'm pretty sure I remember gardening supply places sell worm castings, but not really in hermit crab sized containers... I think more like 5 gallon buckets.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:01 pm

Wow, a 5 gallon bucket? I'd so definetly be able to keep my hermies on a worm poop bonaza all the time. :P

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:25 pm

You could always sell off some of the extra in the classifieds here...

Topic author

worm castings

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:52 pm

Does NarNar offer these? I can't remember, but her prices are very reasonable. You might check out her eBay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Happy-Hermit-Crab