dried protein sources?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
annopia

dried protein sources?

Post by annopia » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:08 pm

I live in a dorm room and only have the tiny kind of freezer that fits in a mini fridge. lately it hasn't been doing its job, and i have very little space for keeping my crabs main source of protein: several types of fish and other meats. so i was wondering if any of you know of any alternative dried protein? I already have just about every kind of nut imaginable, as well as bonito flakes, dulse and anchovies. i just like to give my guys a variety, but right now my fresh options are rather limited.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:16 pm

hhhmmm I dunno. I would try one of these places (the first being narnar's) maybe...

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Happy-Hermit ... SLLRQQtZkm

http://stores.ebay.com/Hermit-Crab-Addi ... tionQQtZkm

Hope that helps! Aaahh....I remember the good ol dorm days. :)

NarNar

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:43 pm

Yeah, NarNar has some great stuff! Reasonable prices and she's very consciencious and imaginative about her ingredients. Crabfood developed by real crab-lovers are the best!

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:57 pm

i guess i should have mentioned that i own most of narnar's goodies and about 25 different foods from the addiction store :D . i try not to give anything more often than ever 3 or 4 weeks (with daily meals of atleast 6 foods), so that makes things a bit more difficult.

but thanks anyway!

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:28 pm

What about freeze dried shimp, plankton, or bloodworms, etc. that are sold as fish food?

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:02 am

:oops: okay, this may be a stupid question, so i'm prepared to be thought an idiot: i thought freeze-dried meant it had to be kept in a freezer?

Caroline

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:09 am

no it is just dried meat. Its sold in the same type of containers as fish flakes. Its also called sun-dried shrimp :)

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 am

i'll look for that next time i stop at petco. the place where i draw the line for the crabs (which is inching back all the time!)-is buying them crickets. yuck, i hate those things...but i think they are in narnar's bugs and nuts (which i have), but since i don't really SEE them, its a-ok.

Caroline

Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:28 pm

I buy the dried shrimp in the green container on www.petdiscounters.com. It's cheap and my hermies love the stuff.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:37 am

I feed dried shrimp on occasion. The crabs love them. You could also use nuts as a protein source. This website has a listing of nutritional info in nuts:
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/nutsseeds.html

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:03 am

yes, i have thought of nuts! they are good too, i have: peanuts, cashews, pecans, almonds, english walnuts, black walnuts, macadamia nuts, pistachios, brazil nuts...thats all i've been able to find around here.

Caroline

Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:01 am

Thanks for the listings on eBay to NaRnAr's store! I want a little of everything!
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

BEANS

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:00 pm

BEANS are a great source of protein too. Mine love garbonzo beans aka chick peas.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Spirulina is also a very good source of protein. I know that Kerie's food is rich in spirulina powder but you can also just buy some spirulina yourself and mix it into your foods. Spirulina, peanut butter, and avocado mixed up is a very healthy high protein snack.

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:38 pm

do i need to cook beans? if so, how do i do that on a mini-scale?

i have spirulina and use it about once a month...but i think now that i'll step it up to once a week, its so good for them.

Caroline