Carob?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Carob?

Post by NaRnAR » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:18 pm

I was perusing the commercial hermie foods (just for fun to see whats out) and I saw a new one called "Neopolitan Hermit Crab Treats" (strawberry, vanilla, chocolate)...so I had a fit and read the ingredients and it has Carob in it.....

Im not familiar with carob, I just know its not actually chocolate.

ANyone have anymore info on it? Ill have todo some research later, but I thought I would ask you all since you all are such a wealth of info!! :D
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:27 pm

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:39 pm

Hmmm... I haven't heard of that yet. Who is the food made by? It sounds like a product HBH would put out.

Willow

Post by Willow » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:20 pm

I saw that at PetCo....I think it is made by HBH, same as their "cookies", just tri-colored. Ingredients are junk, as usual.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:46 pm

What other ingredients does it have? We must know all of the ingredients before we determine whether this "treat" is safe or not.

I guess you can ask on ep. hermit about the carob.

Topic author
NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:45 pm

Im not asking about whether the treats are safe, Im curious about the ingredient "carob". Infact Im pretty sure they have EQ in them b/c they are made by HBH and all of their "hermit crab cookies" have it.

So far I have found that its not poisonous to dogs, cats, or parrots. I might have to track some down at WildOats tomorrow and see what the hermies think.

BAB

Post by BAB » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:57 pm

It's a lovely looking "fruit" isn't it? Hehe...

At any rate though, if it's from the Mediterranean area what hermit crab that we have would have had it before? I mean, it doesn't seem to be something from a native environment from any species I have in my tanks at least. Weird people these crab food makers...
**Crabbing since July 2005*~*100+ successful molts**
I have a total of 2 PP's

Note:My information on crab care is NOT the only way to do things. Please research your topics.

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:53 am

I used to eat it as a kid, we stole it from my friend's rabbit's food and called it rabbit chocolate :D It's safe (in the sencse of not toxic) for rodents, too, although most of them don't like it much and it's too fatty to be a regular part of their diet.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

CAROB

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:07 pm

I think you can buy dark carob chips that are sweetened w/ some sort of fruit juice (I'm thinking pineapple???) at the healthfood store. It is better for you than chocolate, but beware of the sugar content on most of what you can buy commercially. Carob is probably pretty nasty to the human palett before it is sweetened.

Topic author
NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:48 pm

I bought some unsweetened Carob chips at Wild Oats and put two chips in a shell (I also did a feeding on a chili as well that went over well) and either they knocked them out of the dish and they are in the FB somewhere or they carried them away. I will have to put them in an actual dish next time so I know if they carry them away. So far everyone is fine.

I tried some and they arent that bad unsweetened :) Definitely not something I would give up my chocolate for tho hehe!