Fish oil?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ohmeshell

Fish oil?

Post by ohmeshell » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:30 pm

I know my mom takes fish oil as a vitamin, but I don't know anything else about it.
Would it be safe for hermies or is there something else to it?

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:41 pm

Great question!! I'd like to know the answer to this one, too.
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:14 pm

Hmm.. I don't know if I'd use it in the vitamin form like that.. :? I do believe I heard somewhere that eating fish skins raw can provide the hermies with some natural oils... :?
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:31 pm

That's a good question. I have some "Super Omega-3 Formula" ones that I don't take, because the fish oil in them made me sick.

This is what the package says:
Ingredients: borage oil, fish body oil, flax seed oil, gelatin, glycerin, d-Alpha Tocopherol, Soybean oil. Contains: Sardines, Anchovies, Soy.

I'm guessing if you used it, you'd want to cut open the softgel and squeeze the liquid out. Anybody know if that would be okay? Or if the crabbies would even care to eat it in the first place?

Willow

Post by Willow » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Yup, I've opened and squeezed the fish oil capsules into my hermies' food, and they like it. They didn't go absolutely crazy, but they ate most of it.

Topic author
ohmeshell

Post by ohmeshell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:37 am

hmm.
I'm not one for experimenting with them just in case something goes wrong, haha.
I guess I'll see if anybody else knows for sure.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:14 pm

Yes, I also tried OMEGA-3 fish oil. I punched a hole in the capsule and squeezed a little bit out. They seemed to like it. I keep forgetting to try it again, but would like to know it this is good for them. The label says it has anchovy and sardine in it.

It's really supposed to be great stuff. I take it because one of my doctors recommended it.

Anybody else hear if it's good for our little hemies?

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:33 pm

I've used it before and hence given it a thumb's up. It is a good source of the omegas. Just be sure there are no weird ingredients in it. A good brand I use is Nature Made.

The Addiction Store, last time I checked, sells fish oil capsules, but I think it is more economical to buy the entire jar from your local supermarket.

Topic author
ohmeshell

Post by ohmeshell » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:18 am

Awesome. Thanks for the info, guys.