Crickets/Mealworms

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Have you ever fed freeze dried crickets and/or meal worms and did your crabs like them?

Yes, the crabs liked both crickets and worms
13%
Yes, just crickets
13%
Yes, just meal worms
19%
No, they didn't like either meal worms or crickets
No votes
Never fed either of them.
56%

Total votes: 16

Topic author
samurai_crab

Crickets/Mealworms

Post by samurai_crab » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:05 am

Trying to get a feel on here for 2 new food items for my crabs. Crickets and meal worms. I'd like to get some idea about other peoples crabs and what they like before I spend 9.99 on a somewhat large jar of crickets and another 9.99 on meal worms. So, do your crabs like either of these, I'd like to get a feel for what the community here (the crabs themselves that is) likes before I spend money on something that they won't like. Funds are short this time of year with Christmas/no stable job/school ending. Answer the poll or post here, either is fine by me. If the choices are too simple please elaborate. Also does anyone know of a cheaper brand then the somewhat large plastic bottles from Flukers?
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus

Marina

Post by Marina » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:27 am

My crabs liked the freeze dried mealworms from the hermitcrabaddiction, but didn't like the crickets. Zoomed sells small cans of fresh crickets, and cans of fresh mealworms. I'm going to try both of those out as well, eventually.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:37 pm

I've never offered freeze-dried crickets or mealworms but my crabs seem to love fresh ones. :D

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:44 pm

I've seen small containers of all kinds of dried insects and worms at the pet shop for under $5 in the reptile section. I've been tempted to get them as well, but it kind of grosses me out a bit. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Ashmash

Post by Ashmash » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:35 am

Anything that is canned is no longer 'fresh'. I breed mealworms for my reptiles and will smash them up for the hermit crabs every once in a while. They also like smashed crickets. Protein is what they want around here. Doesn't really matter what form it comes in for my guys.
9 PPs and 3 Es in a 55 gal!!!

Marina

Post by Marina » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:25 am

Ashmash wrote:Anything that is canned is no longer 'fresh'. I breed mealworms for my reptiles and will smash them up for the hermit crabs every once in a while. They also like smashed crickets. Protein is what they want around here. Doesn't really matter what form it comes in for my guys.
That's a little too fresh for me. :wink: My guys are a tad more picky, but they're also new. 4/10 crabs have molted so far, and have begun devouring anything I put in the tank.

Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:37 pm

I prefer drying them in the dehydrator, my Aussies love crickets and mealworms like this.
Natalie van Amstel

Life isn't about how you survived the storm...
it's about how you danced in the rain!

Australia's Online Land Hermit Crab Food,Treats and Accessories Store
CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY
http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au