Type of tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Moorespride

Type of tank

Post by Moorespride » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:35 am

I am looking to get our set up and am looking to get a reptile terrarium that has the two swing open doors is that ok or does it have to be an open top aquarium?
It's size would be 18w/18d/24t

Kellie

Re: Type of tank

Post by Kellie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:39 am

How high up are these swing doors? You'll want at least 6 inches of substrate for the crabs, so make sure that you can get this much before opening the doors.

mool

Post by mool » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:14 am

Terrariums are not ideal because they don't allow for enough substrate, as mentioned above.

Also, terrarium glass is fragile and not as thick or as sturdy as aquarium glass, so even if you find a close-sided terrarium, the glass isn't strong enough to hold the weight of the substrate and might crack and break.

Aquariums are much better choices for crabitats, but in an emergency you could use a terrarium as an isolation tank.

Better yet, save the terrarium for a snake and get a tank for your crabs!!

Topic author
Moorespride

Post by Moorespride » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:56 am

Thank you so much I will look for an aquarium then I was hoping to get two hermits and we have a ten gallon aquarium but I know it's. It big enough my my space is limited so I will see if I can find larger

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Terrariums are not good for snakes either. They are better for geckos, chameleons, etc. just wanted to point that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:17 pm

We have members who have used Exoterras for their crabitats.

They glued a piece of plexiglass inside the door so they could add substrate depth.

OP, if you search Exoterra in the DIY thread, you should find some good pics and info on how to do this.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Moorespride wrote:Thank you so much I will look for an aquarium then I was hoping to get two hermits and we have a ten gallon aquarium but I know it's. It big enough my my space is limited so I will see if I can find larger
Get a 20 gallon tall, it's not much bigger long wise than a 10. I got one and it allows for great sub depth and you can make higher climbing levels

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

mool

Post by mool » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:57 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Terrariums are not good for snakes either. They are better for geckos, chameleons, etc. just wanted to point that out Image

Oops! I've kept my 16 year old corn snake in a 40B sized, open front one for about 6 years. Why are they not suitable for snakes? You answer might cause me to go out and get a 40B for him....

Sorry for the derailment.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:16 pm

Terrariums are not ideal because they don't allow for enough substrate, as mentioned above.

Also, terrarium glass is fragile and not as thick or as sturdy as aquarium glass, so even if you find a close-sided terrarium, the glass isn't strong enough to hold the weight of the substrate and might crack and break.
:?: Many people have used them quite successfully, even for longer periods than myself. its just most people when upgrading don't justify the cost of getting a custom made terrarium and has a nice asking price, so will switch to a much cheaper and more accessible glass tank.

(OLD PIC)

Terrariums are fine, and in fact many prefer them due to the ease of access! Nothing beats sliding open the glass, getting the bowls and closing it again instead of trying to reach in over the top. Easy access to all parts of the tank with an open front.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:00 pm

mool wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Terrariums are not good for snakes either. They are better for geckos, chameleons, etc. just wanted to point that out Image

Oops! I've kept my 16 year old corn snake in a 40B sized, open front one for about 6 years. Why are they not suitable for snakes? You answer might cause me to go out and get a 40B for him....

It really depends on the breed. Corn snakes love to climb! Any aquarium/terrarium is going to have give and take. The vast majority of people that I have seen purchase terrariums for snakes buy them way to small. I feel that a lot of people have the mentality of snakes hide and don't need space, and that isn't true. It sounds like your tank is large enough. Breeder terrariums have the depth for snakes, so at least you knew that! If gave your snake the ability to climb, you would be amazed! Corn snakes are infamous for raiding chicken coops! Our yellow rat snake that is about 3 1/2 feet climbs up the outside of our house! He loves the branches in his cage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

mool

Post by mool » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 am

GotButterflies wrote:
mool wrote:

It really depends on the breed. Corn snakes love to climb! Any aquarium/terrarium is going to have give and take. The vast majority of people that I have seen purchase terrariums for snakes buy them way to small. I feel that a lot of people have the mentality of snakes hide and don't need space, and that isn't true. It sounds like your tank is large enough. Breeder terrariums have the depth for snakes, so at least you knew that! If gave your snake the ability to climb, you would be amazed! Corn snakes are infamous for raiding chicken coops! Our yellow rat snake that is about 3 1/2 feet climbs up the outside of our house! He loves the branches in his cage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have almost as much wood in my corn's terrarium as I do in my crab tanks. He's got two pieces of grape wood, two half log hides and a large piece of pecan bark. I've also velcro'ed several old analog temperature dials around the tank because he loves to climb on those too.

Topic author
Moorespride

Post by Moorespride » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:32 pm

not sure how to post an image but the terrarium has a front lip on. thought that would be easier for my daughter to get in to feed and change water. We have plenty of other pets as well as farm animals and wouldn't get spending as much time researching if I didn't think it was a pet that was just going to be tossed to the side in a few months.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:40 am

Moorespride wrote:not sure how to post an image but the terrarium has a front lip on. thought that would be easier for my daughter to get in to feed and change water. We have plenty of other pets as well as farm animals and wouldn't get spending as much time researching if I didn't think it was a pet that was just going to be tossed to the side in a few months.
Haven't figured out how to add pics on website but if you download the app, it's easier. You can upload straight from your gallery or take pics and upload them that way. Good you did your research. Many people have wrong info regarding their care.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Moorespride

Post by Moorespride » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:40 am

Download what app

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:43 am

Tapatalk app and search for hermit crab association