Size if heater

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Moorespride

Size if heater

Post by Moorespride » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:04 am

I am looking to get a 18x18x24"t terrarium with a good size front lip and two doors but don't know what size UTH to get to stick on the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Re: Size if heater

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:40 am

I think I would go with the 11x17 heater. I think that one would be the most apropriate size for a terrarium like that. Just make sure you mod the tank for your sub depth before adding crabs, and keep in mind it usually takes the 100 percent silicone at least a week to cure and stop off-gassing. You'll need to be able to have a sub depth of at least 3 times your largest crab. I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished product! :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:34 pm

I assume its length x width x height? If you can find one, a 18 x 18 could work well for you as well. If you live in a colder area or have a drafty house, you and your crabs may want to get a bit more UTH coverage to keep things as stables as possible in there.

EDIT: I have no idea if the brand your looking at has a 18 x 18... but if it does, then it might be helpful! :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:36 am

I should have clarified that size is if you where getting an ultratherm, as far as I know there isn't an 18x18, but I very well could have overlooked it. :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:41 am

I just assumed that the OP wasn't looking for just an ultratherm... But I could be wrong. ;)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:47 am

Yeah, I must've been tired and not paying much attention when I replied to that. XD Most likely it's because I'm so used to people asking specifically about those. I shouldn't have assumed at all. haha. To the OP you will want a heater that will cover as much of the back of the tank above the sub line as possible. If there is a little overlap it's okay, but it might dry your very top layer of sub out where it sits a bit.

Topic author
Moorespride

Post by Moorespride » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:46 pm

ok I have two tanks still debating on what one for the hermit... the are long and deep. the one is 13" tall and the other is 18" tall. the hermits are for my 5 year old so I want them on a lower shelf I have but it may not have room to be 18" but I am trying for that one. I know I need to get my mind made up to order the heater. I was looking at Zoo Med but heard about the other as well. looking at amazon so I know if could get here fast.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Try to get an ultratherm. Amazon does have them but you may want to shop around. Reptile Basics are usually cheaper but I don't know about the shipping. Stay away from zoomed... Zoomed costs the same but does little to nothing for heat.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:01 am

I couldn't have said it better myself! Plus the ultratherms can be insulated safely, and the Zoomed's can not. This means you can get a few degrees or more heat out of them with just a few added layers of foil and cardboard/ relectix, etc.

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:18 am

Moorespride wrote:ok I have two tanks still debating on what one for the hermit... the are long and deep. the one is 13" tall and the other is 18" tall. the hermits are for my 5 year old so I want them on a lower shelf I have but it may not have room to be 18" but I am trying for that one. I know I need to get my mind made up to order the heater. I was looking at Zoo Med but heard about the other as well. looking at amazon so I know if could get here fast.
Don't waste your money on zoomed. I am struggling to keep the temps up and I got the biggest one for my 20g high which sounds like it's the same height. I totally regret it

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."