Can I add??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Giner13

Re: Can I add??

Post by Giner13 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Yea I had a friend of mine that added me to a FB group. She is a newbie, and was struck at how stiff they are regarding to the "rules" they put out. Some of them are also a little aggressive when enforcing these as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:41 pm

She likes to ask me various advice & tidbits lol

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Giner13 wrote:Yea I had a friend of mine that added me to a FB group. She is a newbie, and was struck at how stiff they are regarding to the "rules" they put out. Some of them are also a little aggressive when enforcing these as well!

The admins have spent an enormous amount of time on research and contacting vendors in that group. I know they have the best interests of the crabs at heart.

There is a line between education and concern trolling, and I feel like maybe sometimes it gets blurred or crossed there, but I do know some of the admins as FB friends and have for a couple of years and I believe they truly love their crabs.

It's hard for them to police all 5000 plus members on a FB page as well, and I have seen them try to talk to folks about the pile ons.

I left after the U.S. Presidential election though so it has been months since I was a member.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Giner13 wrote:Yea I had a friend of mine that added me to a FB group. She is a newbie, and was struck at how stiff they are regarding to the "rules" they put out. Some of them are also a little aggressive when enforcing these as well!

The admins have spent an enormous amount of time on research and contacting vendors in that group. I know they have the best interests of the crabs at heart.

There is a line between education and concern trolling, and I feel like maybe sometimes it gets blurred or crossed there, but I do know some of the admins as FB friends and have for a couple of years and I believe they truly love their crabs.

It's hard for them to police all 5000 plus members on a FB page as well, and I have seen them try to talk to folks about the pile ons.

I left after the U.S. Presidential election though so it has been months since I was a member.

Oh I totally understand all that!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm

@soilentgringa - thanks for the long post... it was actually really edifying.

I think I know which group is under (tacit) discussion... and I myself have considered dropping it several times...
But I do still keep learning the odd thing from them, so their value speaks for itself (I just have to remember not to jump into conversational threads, because my philosophical approach seems to differ from theirs & it is frustrating to be pile-driven for suggesting an alternative. )

But they do good educational work... and I have to admit, 24/7, if you have an emergency, there is a mod to talk you through it in great detail. They are very dedicated & doing good work, on balance.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

CrabbyMommy2017

Post by CrabbyMommy2017 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:38 am

soilentgringa wrote:Our philosophy at HCA (from what past admins have told me) is that a new crabber, who just learned that that $20 pet and kritter keeper they picked up, is not going to want/be able to spend a great amount of money at the outset to get a huge tank, and all the supplies that go into that.....

You've stated a very good point here @soilentgringa. When I first got my crabs, from a free ad on Craigslist, I had no idea how much care they would actually require. I am thankful that I was in a position to give them what they needed, because the previous owner didn't have all of the environmental conditions right. I think it is the general opinion of most people who have never owned a hermit crab, (including me, in the beginning), that they really are low-maintenance pets; when the reality of it is they actually require a lot more careful planning. When I first got my hermit crabs I already had an empty 55-gallon tank. The crabs came to me from the previous owner in a 10 gallon tank. I thought to myself, when responding to the Craigslist ad where the crabs were posted for free in my area, 'Well here we go! Here's something easy to care for'. Yeah right! Not that they are really all that much of a burden on me. Just to say that I really didn't know what I was getting into. Still I am happy that the crabs are now a part of our family and I am so very thankful for this message board. Without the HCA and all of the helpful people here my crabs would not have the right environmental conditions because I wouldn't have known what to do.
Looking to Re-Home my 8 crabs (55 gal & 10 gal)
Please read my adoption post:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=115198
Our Family Motto For 2017:
Cultivate Happiness and Give Thanks Daily

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:58 am

Same here Lady! There are a few things I pick up every now & then so I haven't dropped lol

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:31 am

Sounds like the FB crab community is the same as the Instagram crab community. When I first got my crab I was researching proper care and posted a thing on my Instagram.... big mistake. I was in tears by the end of the night.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:57 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:Sounds like the FB crab community is the same as the Instagram crab community. When I first got my crab I was researching proper care and posted a thing on my Instagram.... big mistake. I was in tears by the end of the night.
Oh my!!!!ImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm

I just don't care for social media- this is as close to social media as I'll get

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 pm

^^ Agreed!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Yes!!