Ultratherm! Can someone comfirm this is what I need

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Hello crabbers! Im in the money and purchasing the UTH for my 40b. Im hoping this is the Ultratherm bc the price is great. Can someone take a look at this screencap and let me know if this is the type of UTH I can insulate. Thanks everyone for looking.
http://imgur.com/a/PKRI9
Last edited by CrabMater on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

NCgirl19

Re: Ultratherm! Can someone comfirm this is what I need

Post by NCgirl19 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:07 pm

That looks like the right one - I ordered both of mine from ReptileBasics

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Thank you NCgirl. I thought so but I wanted to be sure. Much obliged.
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:21 pm

That is the brand, but I'm not positive of the size. Sorry! I don't know the size of a 40B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Vic Future

Post by Vic Future » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi GB, the longest side is 36" , so this is basically going to stretch the entire length w room for adhesive. Thanks for chiming in!
One follow up: this pad is ready out of the box, yes? Just needs to be taped to the back and insulated if needs be.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Vic Future wrote:Hi GB, the longest side is 36" , so this is basically going to stretch the entire length w room for adhesive. Thanks for chiming in!
One follow up: this pad is ready out of the box, yes? Just needs to be taped to the back and insulated if needs be.

Okay, gotcha! How warm do your summers get? You might need a thermostat with that length. I love the ultratherms- but they get a little warm here in Florida.

Yes- they are great right out of the box! Image just tape them up- packaging/duct tape - whatever your fancy!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Vic Future

Post by Vic Future » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:09 pm

GB,
In NYC we can go up to 100 degrees. But most summers we rock out 86-96 F. But the winters are brutal! This guy is for the fall through May. My building is still giving us heat.
have a tiny Zoomed on my tat now. Its 82-85 in there. (I know 86+ is asking for trouble) Once i have to unplug the uth for a week im going to make the move. I figure late May the boys are going to get an upgrade.
Now im wondering if i should get a shorter one... I want to make sure I can give them the heat they need come Oct-April. But I don't know if this will be overkill. I could always remove insulation.
Overthinking is my downfall.

Thanks for your help GB & NC

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm in the Boston area and having trouble keeping the heat up in the large tank. I just bought an 11x47 heater. Hopefully that helps,the humidity is fine though. I wish we had Florida nice warm weather.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Okay- so you can get a thermostat for 22/23 dollars on Amazon for the summer (it will shut it off if it gets too hot in tank) or go with a shorter one and insulate the heck out of it during the winter . I went with a shorter one AND still had to get a thermostat

NCgirl19

Post by NCgirl19 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:40 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Okay- so you can get a thermostat for 22/23 dollars on Amazon for the summer (it will shut it off if it gets too hot in tank) or go with a shorter one and insulate the heck out of it during the winter Image. I went with a shorter one AND still had to get a thermostat Image

I'm a bit confused - do you not need to have a UTH in the summer? Or have one but have it attached to a thermostat? I'm in eastern NC, the temps in the summer can get pretty hot.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:10 am

NCgirl19 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Okay- so you can get a thermostat for 22/23 dollars on Amazon for the summer (it will shut it off if it gets too hot in tank) or go with a shorter one and insulate the heck out of it during the winter Image. I went with a shorter one AND still had to get a thermostat Image

I'm a bit confused - do you not need to have a UTH in the summer? Or have one but have it attached to a thermostat? I'm in eastern NC, the temps in the summer can get pretty hot.
Is your home air conditioned?

I live in Texas. My apartment thermostat stays on 73 permanently.

The crabitat is never below 80 or above 90 no matter how hot it gets outside (triple digit summers).

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:27 am

soilentgringa wrote:
NCgirl19 wrote:

The crabitat is never below 80 or above 90 no matter how hot it gets outside (triple digit summers).

Yes. Our home stays at 75/76 with the air conditioning. My crabs are in a room by themselves. (100gallon, 75gallon & then a snake in a 55gallon tank). I'm getting ready to set up convert an additional 55gallon tank that is in there to a crabitat as well. I do not like my crabitats above 86. It gets really hot here. Was 90 the other day...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:38 am

GotButterflies wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:
NCgirl19 wrote: I'm a bit confused - do you not need to have a UTH in the summer? Or have one but have it attached to a thermostat? I'm in eastern NC, the temps in the summer can get pretty hot.

Yes. Our home stays at 75/76 with the air conditioning. My crabs are in a room by themselves. (100gallon, 75gallon & then a snake in a 55gallon tank). I'm getting ready to set up convert an additional 55gallon tank that is in there to a crabitat as well. I do not like my crabitats above 86. It gets really hot here. Was 90 the other day...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry for the confusion, I thought I replied to @NCgirl19's response to your comment.

NCgirl19

Post by NCgirl19 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 am

soilentgringa wrote:
NCgirl19 wrote:

Yes, it is. It's set to 78. Both tanks are in my bedroom which tends to be a bit warmer than the rest of the house.

Sorry for the constant questions - every time I think I have something figured out and read a post with new info - so thank you for your help!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:03 am

No worries to both of you