Dont want to overcrowd

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Dont want to overcrowd

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Hey guys! So I am finally getting back into crabbing. I bought a 40 breeder tank and slowly but surely been getting everything for it. I should be able to set it up within a month! And I will for sure be showing you all the progression of it :D I wont be getting any crabs until I can be sure I can maintain the right temp and humidity. But mainly I just had a question about overcrowding and the different species.

So I heard that its 5 gallons per crab, but that you also want extra space since they do grow. I also read that Straws and E's like deeper substrate and more floor space, also bigger salt water pools. Non of which are problems for me, I already was planning to do that. But they also need a species buddy, will I be overcrowding if I get 2 straws, 2 E's and 2-3 PP's in the 40 tank? Or will they all be fine? That would leave an extra 10G for growth. And I can always upgrade to a bigger tank next year, thats not a problem :)

Hermiearth

Re: Dont want to overcrowd

Post by Hermiearth » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:49 pm

I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that E's require 10 gallons per crab because they are prone to dig up molters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:44 am

Hermiearth wrote:I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that E's require 10 gallons per crab because they are prone to dig up molters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is not a requirement but it is suggested sometimes that E's be in at least a 40 gallon.

I have 3 E's and 16 PP's ranging from small to large in one tank. My E's have never been aggressive.

I feed them a wide variety of proteins and calcium sources as well as lots of plant/leaf litter.

I was moving tanks and found some crabs I'd forgotten about because they were underground when I rehomed a lot of "rehabbed" crabs and got rid of most of the tanks.

Will be upgrading to a larger tank when finances are available.

I don't suggest being as crowded as I am right now at all, but my colony gets along fine and there have been no attacks or cannibalism.

So we went from over 60 crabs adopted/rescued and multiple large (40 gallon and up) tanks in my living room to the 55 with (work in progress) 20g topper.

Will probably try to find a 125 soon. *sigh*

I still have random 10 gallon tanks from adoptions around.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Please don't overcrowd your tanks. :)

I take in emergency rescues/adoptions, allow them to molt once or twice, then find forever homes for them.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks for the replies!! I do plan on upgrading to a 55-75 gallon next year if it all works out, so overall having 6 crabs of three different species should work, especially if its only for about a year. But I'll go slow about getting the crabs and see how the E's do. I need to do what's best for the crabbies though, so I may wait until next year for E's
And I also have a 10g lying around lol, I make turn it into a topper.

Thanks for the help :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:14 pm

If needed the two PPs will be fine in a 10g tank for a year and leave you more room for your other crabs, especially if they are smaller than a medium.
Even if you wait out on one species until you are ready to upgrade again, like the straws as they slightly more delicate.... a larger tank will be more stable

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:43 pm

I agree about waiting on the straws. .. everything I've read indicates they're a more demanding crab to meet the needs of.

(Disclaimer: I've been crabbing since only Aug 2016, and the only straw I've even laid eyes on was a half-dead chap at a pet-store.)

But aussieJJDude's suggestion seems pretty sound: get everything running smoothly, then add the high-maitenance species when you'very got more space & can add extra swanky salt water swimming pools. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Tue May 02, 2017 1:44 am

Yeah after setting up the tank I could kinda tell it may be too small for straws. Space fills up quick!! But I will be getting a 150g this weekend. And if I can find a place for it, I'll set that up. I do believe that's more than enough for straws and E's lol

Having PP's first for a while just to see how everything works is a good idea. Thank you guys :)

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 am

150! So jelly over here! Nice! :D
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(