help! can't get humidity high enough??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Freckles24

help! can't get humidity high enough??

Post by Freckles24 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:01 am

My humidity used to stay between 60 & 70 % that was as high as I could get it but of course, the tank stayed between 74-76 degrees. Now I have got the tank to stay right at 80 but the hydrometer rarely sees 60! I soak the substrate down morning and night I even added moss but when I wake up & it's bone dry... Please, someone, give me tips to make it humid! I used to be able to 'feel' the humidity on my hand when I would move things around in the tank and now it just feels like the air in my room.

EPAS

Re: help! can't get humidity high enough??

Post by EPAS » Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 am

I'm new to the crab experience myself, but from what I read you have to calibrate your meter every few months.
I hope this helps.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 am

What kind of gauges do you have? Analog tends to be inaccurate. Digital are better... Yes these can be calibrated too! Is your sub sand castle consistency? Top inch is okay to be dry as long as it's correct underneath. Also spraying everyday like that can lead to a flood of your gauges are off... Do you have bubblers in your pools or a moss pit?

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Freckles24

Post by Freckles24 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 am

daws409 wrote:What kind of gauges do you have? Analog tends to be inaccurate. Digital are better... Yes these can be calibrated too! Is your sub sand castle consistency? Top inch is okay to be dry as long as it's correct underneath. Also spraying everyday like that can lead to a flood of your gauges are off... Do you have bubblers in your pools or a moss pit?

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Freckles24:
I should have mentioned that I do calibrate the hydrometer. I see what you mean about a flood, but the numbers on the gauge aside I can tell it is not as humid because it doesn't feel humid. That's why I added the way the tank feels detail. I know a reliable hydrometer would be useful but I promise it isn't just the number being low even though it is humid. It is just actually dry and I would see this problem even without a gauge. Does anyone have tips to keep the tank humid?

Brian_T

Post by Brian_T » Thu May 04, 2017 2:46 pm

What is your heat source and what kind of lid is on the tank?

Any kind of heat lamp will dry the tank and a glass lid will hold in humidity.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu May 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Deeper substrate helps. I personally think that originally mixing the substrate with marine salt water helps with humidity as well. That is my opinion though. Moss pits, Air stones in the water bowls and glass tops all help boost humidity.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Freckles24

Post by Freckles24 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:15 pm

I should look into a glass lid that would probably help tremendously, as I have a grate type lid. I have a heat mat on the side of my tank (not covered by substrate). My substrate is currently pretty deep but I will add more very soon.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Freckles24 wrote:I should look into a glass lid that would probably help tremendously, as I have a grate type lid. I have a heat mat on the side of my tank (not covered by substrate). My substrate is currently pretty deep but I will add more very soon.
I love glass lids! You can try press n seal on your mesh one, or put a piece of plexiglass under it... but do not set any light source on top of those :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com