Mopani Wood Troubles

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Rangoon

Mopani Wood Troubles

Post by Rangoon » Wed May 10, 2017 3:16 am

So I recently added a chunk of Mopani wood to my tank. I boiled it and soaked it in Instant Ocean saltwater, but didn't bake it, because I thought the soak would be enough since I wasn't putting it in an aquarium. I let it dry for a few days before I added it to the tank, but after about 10 days, it's started growing some really bright green stuff and just a tiny bit of white fuzz along the bottom where the wood meets the dirt (EE and sand mix).

I noticed it tonight and immediately took the piece out, along with about an inch of substrate in the surrounding area...just in case it was something in the dirt that had caused the growth, since it was only growing a little bit above where the wood touched the substrate. (Though I couldn't actually see anything in the dirt itself, and I also treated that with Instant Ocean saltwater when I mixed it.) I hacked off the mold spot, and the wood is now soaking in some more saltwater at the moment, but it's about 3AM right now and I'm pretty sure I'd wake the whole house if I tried to bake it.

So I guess my question is, if I did bake it later, should it be safe to reuse in the tank? Can I salvage the wood, or should I not bother at all and just toss it?

I'm still pretty new to crabbing, so I don't know if I totally overreacted or what to this. I hope I didn't do something totally stupid by not baking the Mopani wood to begin with. Any future advice for how I can handle preventing mold? Are there better woods I should look into for my tank? Anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?

Thanks in advance!

Extra info that may or may not be useful: My tank has been at a consistent 74F the last few days, and the humidity has been fluctuating a bit, but it's never been less than 82%. I have a mesh lid that's only halfway covered in plastic wrap, so plenty of airflow (I assume?). And so far I haven't even had to mist my tank. I've been spot cleaning every day and I've been sticking with dry foods because I was paranoid about them dragging some fresh stuff off and burying it. Mopani wood is the only organic thing I currently have in the tank (aside from the EE, I guess).

CrabMater

Re: Mopani Wood Troubles

Post by CrabMater » Wed May 10, 2017 3:45 am

Hi, despite how it looks mold isnt dangerous to crabbies. And, once mold blooms and eats it dies. You can resoak or bake your wood if you want. I like to wipe w a diluted white vinegar rinse for very stubborn mold. But The HCA community has allayed my fears about white mold.
Ive also found that in my tank once my wood had gone moldly, it rarly remolds. Not sure if its the vinegar or just the mold dying and not being able to get a foothold again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 10, 2017 7:38 am

Just let it mold. It will die off. It doesn't hurt the crabs. Please get your temperature up. Minimum temp should be 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks, guys! I figured it wouldn't be too much harm to the crabs since in the wild, they probably come across all kinds of fungi/mold/decaying stuff. I was more concerned about it becoming a widespread problem in the tank. But I guess I did overact a bit. Classic. :lol:

Gonna just bake it later today to ease my mind, then back in the tank it goes. Once again, thanks!
Please get your temperature up. Minimum temp should be 80. Image
I've been stalking the forums long enough to know someone was gonna mention my temp, haha.
A better UTH is in the mail and should arrive by Friday, no worries! :wink:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 10, 2017 2:03 pm

You are probably just wasting your time baking it again. I just set up my third crabitat- my piece of grapevine molded for 3/4 days. Then it died off. I never soaked or baked. To each's own though.

Walmart sells a great hygrometer- made by Acurite- it's only $8- battery operated- digital. Tells you exactly what temp & humidity is. And what low & high was over last 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com