Sanitizing Tips?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Sanitizing Tips?

Post by AuntieEm_ » Thu May 11, 2017 8:42 pm

I just received my shipment of new goodies!! I've already boiled the new shells, and I think I'm actually gonna place another order tonight, as some of them were bigger than I anticipated.

I also got some fishing net, dried sea urchins, and sea sponges, which I'm not quite sure how to go about sanitizing...I've heard about microwaving the completely dry sea sponge for a few minutes, but I don't see how that could get rid of any little particles that may be on it?
My first impulse is to boil the net and sea urchin, but would that shrink the net and/or dissolve the sea urchin?

I also have some moss on the way...do you think I should sanitize that too even though it's from a special hermit crab shop? If so, how should I go about cleaning it?

daws409

Re: Sanitizing Tips?

Post by daws409 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:32 pm

I replied with a D-
AuntieEm_ wrote:I just received my shipment of new goodies!! I've already boiled the new shells, and I think I'm actually gonna place another order tonight, as some of them were bigger than I anticipated.

D- when shopping for shells you have to pay attention to opening size. That's good you've already boiled them!

I also got some fishing net, dried sea urchins, and sea sponges, which I'm not quite sure how to go about sanitizing...I've heard about microwaving the completely dry sea sponge for a few minutes, but I don't see how that could get rid of any little particles that may be on it?
My first impulse is to boil the net and sea urchin, but would that shrink the net and/or dissolve the sea urchin?

D- yes boil the net. Leave the sea urchin be just rinse it well with declor fresh water. With the sponge rinse really well, let it completely dry, then microwave. Be sure it's dry first. They will shrink if wet

I also have some moss on the way...do you think I should sanitize that too even though it's from a special hermit crab shop? If so, how should I go about cleaning it?

D- saturate the moss and put it in tat. No need for sanitation...

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Post by AuntieEm_ » Thu May 11, 2017 10:13 pm

daws409 wrote:I replied with a D-
AuntieEm_ wrote:I just received my shipment of new goodies!! I've already boiled the new shells, and I think I'm actually gonna place another order tonight, as some of them were bigger than I anticipated.

D- when shopping for shells you have to pay attention to opening size. That's good you've already boiled them!

D- yes boil the net. Leave the sea urchin be just rinse it well with declor fresh water. With the sponge rinse really well, let it completely dry, then microwave. Be sure it's dry first. They will shrink if wet

D- saturate the moss and put it in tat. No need for sanitation...

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Thank you so much!
Yeah, I picked out some of the shells myself, which were the perfect size, but I also got an assortment pack with openings between 1/2 inch and 1 1/4 inch. Most of them ended up being 1 1/4, however, rather than an equal mix, if that makes sense.

When it comes to microwaving the sponge, how long should I put it in for?

Should I saturate the moss with freshwater or saltwater?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri May 12, 2017 4:14 am

If the moss is living and you want it living freshwater. If its dead or you want it dead, salt.
30 seconds or longer will suffice in cleaning a sponge in a microwave.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Post by AuntieEm_ » Fri May 12, 2017 2:04 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:If the moss is living and you want it living freshwater. If its dead or you want it dead, salt.
30 seconds or longer will suffice in cleaning a sponge in a microwave.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
rad! thank you so so much!!Image