New tank!! Mass Molt!! Help!!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Gabster

New tank!! Mass Molt!! Help!!

Post by Gabster » Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 am

So I recently upgraded tanks 30 gallon Long. I have everything set up the way it should be (thanks to this amazing site!!) and the temp/humi is around 80-85. I put everyone (7) in a few weeks ago and they all dug under. I only see one or two, usually at night. There is one that is usually out and sleeps in the hanging coconut during the day. But consider there is 7 and I only see 2 on a good day I was wondering if it was normal for them to go under when introduced to a new tank? I know I can't dig them up and I'm just worried there are dead crabs in there yet I can't check on them either. I ended up with hermit crabs after a co worker of mine told me she bought some for her kids during a beach trip and they didn't care for them anymore. Not to mention they were kept in terrible conditions which is the main reason I got them. She first gave me four. One molted (longest month of my life!!) and the rest explored there new home and tried forever to escape. When I was getting the new tank together I finally talked her into selling me the 3 remaining crabs so they all went into the new tank at the same time. I'm just trying to make sure I include as much info as possible. The only thing I could come up with is that this is the first time they have had the opportunity to molt in the proper conditions but any other info would be greatly appreciated :) :) Thank you in advance!!!
Animal sap :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: New tank!! Mass Molt!! Help!!

Post by wodesorel » Tue May 23, 2017 12:33 am

Totally normal! When I was just starting out I once had 12 of 13 crabs under at the same time. It was so boring!

It does have to do with them getting into conditions where they can safely molt. And if they are all the same size they may end up on the same molting cycle and keep doing mass molts for a bit until they start spreading out in size a bit.

Thank you for rescuing them!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram