Humidifier

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
EuxirAino

Humidifier

Post by EuxirAino » Wed May 24, 2017 1:34 am

I feel like the temperature in my room is a little too cool for a crab habitat because it's summer in Arizona and the fan is always on. Would it help make my room a little more warmer if I put a humidifier in my room? Would it raise the temperature in the tank? I'm trying to ensure the little crabs have a great crabitat condition. I spray the tank every day and night with a spray bottle. I've wanted to get a hygrometer but my parents say no cause it's too expensive sivem

Giner13

Re: Humidifier

Post by Giner13 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:39 am

What are your conditions like?
I have 2 moss pits in my tank that keeps my humidity nice, and Jack seems to enjoy munching onImage
My thermometer/hygrometer was a double unit I think I found either at a local petsmart or on amazon...I can't remember which. It runs fairly accurate. It may have been petsmart Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 am

Spraying the tank can cause flooding- so be careful with that.

You can buy an Acurite unit at Walmart for $8. Tells you temp & humidity- and the high & low of each for the last 24 hours. You can find them in the home improvement section- by the air filters.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:12 am

That one sounds awesome GB!!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 25, 2017 12:38 pm

A humidifier increases the humidity, not the temperature. What temperature is their tank now, and the room they are in? I have to use a heating pad for the little tank in my bedroom in the summer, because I run the AC so cold that gets too cold for the crabbies.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
EuxirAino

Post by EuxirAino » Thu May 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Giner13 wrote:What are your conditions like?
I have 2 moss pits in my tank that keeps my humidity nice, and Jack seems to enjoy munching onImage
My thermometer/hygrometer was a double unit I think I found either at a local petsmart or on amazon...I can't remember which. It runs fairly accurate. It may have been petsmart Image

I have abiut 6 inches of sand, a slide kind of thing made from popcicle sticks, and a couple big,smooth rocks. I also have a plastic coconut hut and two big water dishes. For the top, I have a card board too that fits the tank perfectly and has multiple air holes so air can come in
Last edited by EuxirAino on Thu May 25, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
EuxirAino

Post by EuxirAino » Thu May 25, 2017 7:52 pm

wodesorel wrote:A humidifier increases the humidity, not the temperature. What temperature is their tank now, and the room they are in? I have to use a heating pad for the little tank in my bedroom in the summer, because I run the AC so cold that gets too cold for the crabbies.

The temperature in my house is about 82 degrees but some the fan is on in my room, I'd say my room temperature is in the high 70. I don't know my humidity in the tank because I don't have a hygrometer

Topic author
EuxirAino

Post by EuxirAino » Thu May 25, 2017 7:55 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Spraying the tank can cause flooding- so be careful with that.

You can buy an Acurite unit at Walmart for $8. Tells you temp & humidity- and the high & low of each for the last 24 hours. You can find them in the home improvement section- by the air filters.

When I spray my tank, I do a couple squirts in an area so it's lightly sprayed in there. I'll see if I can find that unit at my local Walmart! Thanks!

Topic author
EuxirAino

Post by EuxirAino » Tue May 30, 2017 3:27 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Spraying the tank can cause flooding- so be careful with that.

I've found the hygrometer and I've set it in the back of my tank, in the middle. The humidity reads 60% before I spray the tank, but after I spray, it gradually goes up into the 70s and 80s. The temperature is about 76 degrees. Is this good

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 pm

60% is a bit low. Can you add a moist moss pit, or cover up some more openings to boost it? 70% is the lowest recommended, but you're almost there!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue May 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Besides moss pits, glass tops, and adding air stones to the water bowls helps boost humidity also. :) Good luck!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Wed May 31, 2017 9:14 am

EuxirAino wrote:

I've found the hygrometer and I've set it in the back of my tank, in the middle. The humidity reads 60% before I spray the tank, but after I spray, it gradually goes up into the 70s and 80s. The temperature is about 76 degrees. Is this good
I think you want a minimum temperature of 80F. The crabs will survive at 76F, but won't be thriving. And if they stay at 75F or lower for a while, I think they might start to hibernate (or so I've read). That being said, I had my tat at 72-75F for a couple weeks until I figured out that was bad and was able to purchase an Ultratherm UTH, and my crabs are fine. If you can't buy a UTH right now, you might see if you can give them some more natural light. That should raise the crabitat temp a few degrees, and help increase your humidity if you have moist substrate. You just have to be careful that your temperature doesn't go above about 86F for long periods, and that your substrate continues to stay moist. Short temperature excursions (maybe a few hrs?) up to 90F should be fine at the hottest part of the day - crabs are used to some temperature fluctuations in the wild. As long as they have nice deep moist substrate to burrow into and cool down, they should be fine with a bit of temperature fluctuation. For substrate, many crabbers including me use a 5:1 playsand/Eco-Earth mixture moistened to sandcastle consistency with marine saltwater (using Instant Ocean or similar product, dechlorinated with Prime or similar product). This works really well for holding crab tunnels and keeping things humid at 80F in a 10 gallon tat. I've been meaning to add airstones to the pools- that will happen when I upgrade to the 29 gallon tat. Currently I spray maybe once a week, just to try and keep the substrate moist, and my humidity stays 80%+
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena