Unsure About Leaf Litter

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Mirrorakay

Unsure About Leaf Litter

Post by Mirrorakay » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm looking at adding leaf litter to my tank. I know people recommend gathering from the backyard, but I know my parents treat the trees around my house with weed and bug killer. I'm not confident enough in other trees in the area and assume they are treated the same. If I can't find a safe, local place to scavenge leaves, is there another easy way to get leaf litter?

Assuming I can find safe trees somewhere, how would I treat the leaves prior to putting them in the tank?

Thank you!
Owner of seven PPs: Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Athena, Nyx, Chronos, and Helios
One E: Gaia
One dog: Riku
One cat: Fennwick
And one crested gecko: Kiri

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unsure About Leaf Litter

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Maybe try looking online, particularly in the dart frog community and fish keeping; both of these commonly use leaf litter of some sort and im sure that you might have people willing to ship leaves to your door.... do you have family in other areas that have it 'safe'? friends even?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:31 pm

Yep, buy it from others.

I usually collect a few bags in the fall to send to friends. Asking someone you know would be the cheapest option, they are light and I've send stuffed giant moving boxes across the country for like $25 in shipping.

I believe some of the hermit stores sell them, as do dart frog supply places, but you'd be paying a heck of a lot more. (We're talking $5 for a little baggie.)

If you can wait til fall I'm sure someone could help you out instead!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Oh, and as for treatment, I never really did. I'd either stick the bag in the deep freeze for a couple weeks, or let it freeze outside for a while. It doesn't kill everything, but it gets rid of the spiders which is my only worry!

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 am

wodesorel wrote:Oh, and as for treatment, I never really did. I'd either stick the bag in the deep freeze for a couple weeks, or let it freeze outside for a while. It doesn't kill everything, but it gets rid of the spiders which is my only worry!

Ugh spiders!!!!ImageImage
I've been wondering about leaf litter myself. I used to have Bay leaves that they lived scattered around the tank. Our trees aren't sprayed around here, so I could wait til fall for ours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Mirrorakay

Post by Mirrorakay » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Thank you guys!
Owner of seven PPs: Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Athena, Nyx, Chronos, and Helios
One E: Gaia
One dog: Riku
One cat: Fennwick
And one crested gecko: Kiri