Green stuff growing in tank?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AML

Green stuff growing in tank?

Post by AML » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Should I be worried about this? Is it algae? Image

C_fiesta

Re: Green stuff growing in tank?

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm

AML wrote:Should I be worried about this? Is it algae? Image
I am not 100% sure, so hopefully someone else chimes in. I think the green is algae from where the light reaches it. I don't think that itself is an issue. The dark brown/black area could be a mold pocket which would need a quick substrate clean, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Topic author
AML

Post by AML » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:41 pm

C_fiesta wrote:
I am not 100% sure, so hopefully someone else chimes in. I think the green is algae from where the light reaches it. I don't think that itself is an issue. The dark brown/black area could be a mold pocket which would need a quick substrate clean, but I'm not 100% sure.

We move in 2.5 weeks so I'm gonna give them brand new sand anyways. But is there anything in the future I can do to avoid this? Would it be too much moisture in the sand??

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:11 pm

AML wrote:
C_fiesta wrote:

We move in 2.5 weeks so I'm gonna give them brand new sand anyways. But is there anything in the future I can do to avoid this? Would it be too much moisture in the sand??

How long have you had your tank set up?

What is the sand to EE ratio?

Some people recommend changing the substrate every 6 months to a year, while others do not.

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Topic author
AML

Post by AML » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:38 pm

C_fiesta wrote:
AML wrote:
C_fiesta wrote: I am not 100% sure, so hopefully someone else chimes in. I think the green is algae from where the light reaches it. I don't think that itself is an issue. The dark brown/black area could be a mold pocket which would need a quick substrate clean, but I'm not 100% sure.

How long have you had your tank set up?

What is the sand to EE ratio?

Some people recommend changing the substrate every 6 months to a year, while others do not.

We moved a year ago so it's been a year since I put new sand in. It's about 7in of play sand mixed with coconut fiber. I mixed 1 large bag of coconut fiber with like 4 large bags of play sand and I mixed it with salt water until it was moldable. My humidity is pretty high though whenever I open my tank top water drips down from the top onto the sand.

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Check out the comments in this post. It's very informative and explains things better than I can
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=114535

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:02 pm

It is algae, and it is harmless. It just means there's enough light and moisture for it to grow. I would be cautious of how moist the substrate is, but I end up with patches on almost all my tanks that get a good amount of light.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram