Lowering Humidity

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Lowering Humidity

Post by AndyCrabby » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:46 pm

I know this may seem odd but how do I lower my tanks humidity; It's too high. I recently replaced my analog gauges to a digital acurite thermometer and hydrometer but the humidity reaches up to 99% sometimes and stays in the 90's. Should I recalibrate my hydrometer/thermometer. Can my crabs breathe properly?

CrabMater

Re: Lowering Humidity

Post by CrabMater » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 pm

I think even at 100% its Relative humidity not actual humidity so your crabbies should be ok. However i am, as of this june, 1 year Crabbin so i too shall wait for replies.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:00 pm

They can breathe fine. The problem really with high humidity is that mould growth typically occurs; not harm to the crabs but can be harmful and unsightly to us. If you feel the need to reduce humidity in the tank, increasing airflow does the trick.

Have you calibrated yet? Even digital gauges can be out, so its important to check.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:56 pm

My humidity stays at 99% a good majority of the time, and I have no issues. Not even with mold. I agree that you should calibrate your gauge to make sure that it is accurate though. :)

Edit: Link to calibrate: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92540
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:50 pm

I calibrated it awhile back but I forgot to post lol. It's fine but I realized the issue was I stuck it straight into the sub but I raised it up and the humidity is actually in the 80's
Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk