Newer to crabs- UTH ?'s

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
SLKleem

Newer to crabs- UTH ?'s

Post by SLKleem » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:24 pm

First thanks to the welcome and advice I received a couple weeks ago. Bought an ultratherm UTH but it isn't getting my heat up high enough- only 72-74*. Live in northern state so I know definitely won't be warm enough in winter. The next size up would cause the UTH to go below substrate about 1" or so (have 6" sand and ee). The only other thing I can think to do is order a second UTH in same size and put one above the other with some overlapping. What do you think? Thanks

C_fiesta

Re: Newer to crabs- UTH ?'s

Post by C_fiesta » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:57 pm

1" below the substrate is fine. You might not need a new UTH though. First, check your guages- of they are dial type, calibrate them. If it's electronic, put a new battery in. If it truly is an Ultratherm brand, you can insulate it with cardboard, insulation, or tin foil. That's one of the reasons Ultratherm UTHs are recommended so often is because they can be safely insulated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:41 pm

I replied on the other not realizing it was a duplicate topic. I'll copy my response to this topic...

What brand of UTH do have? http://Www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com UTH's are only brands that can be safely insulated and they do a better job at maintaining a min temp of 80°. You can insulate with reflexive (?sp) or layers of tinfoil and cardboard/styrofoam. HOWEVER, if you have any other brand UTH you can insulate AROUND it being careful not to cover the UTH... Couple inches of overlap between substrate and heater is okay. Overlap just causes the top couple of inches to dry out quicker IMO.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
SLKleem

Post by SLKleem » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:01 pm

C_fiesta wrote:1" below the substrate is fine. You might not need a new UTH though. First, check your guages- of they are dial type, calibrate them. If it's electronic, put a new battery in. If it truly is an Ultratherm brand, you can insulate it with cardboard, insulation, or tin foil. That's one of the reasons Ultratherm UTHs are recommended so often is because they can be safely insulated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I currently have a very old dial gauge, Accurite on order. I was able to look up how to calibrate the hygrometer and am working on it. I have not checked accuracy of the thermometer though. I guess I can just check it with one I use in the house? The readings I am getting are 72-74* and over 95%. I was a bit concerned with too high humidity and mold? I am pretty sensitive to it. I would like to open a corner for a vent but assume would drop temp? Tat is sealed up pretty tight with screen top and press'n seal. Also I set the gauge in the very front of tat on the substrate. Maybe not best place to take reading?

Topic author
SLKleem

Post by SLKleem » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:12 pm

daws409 wrote:I replied on the other not realizing it was a duplicate topic. I'll copy my response to this topic...

What brand of UTH do have? http://Www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com UTH's are only brands that can be safely insulated and they do a better job at maintaining a min temp of 80°. You can insulate with reflexive (?sp) or layers of tinfoil and cardboard/styrofoam. HOWEVER, if you have any other brand UTH you can insulate AROUND it being careful not to cover the UTH... Couple inches of overlap between substrate and heater is okay. Overlap just causes the top couple of inches to dry out quicker IMO.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Sorry about the duplicate topic, not sure what happened. I do have an ultratherm heater. I figured I would need to insulate when winter comes but worried I have the right setup if needing to do that now. I will consider a larger ultratherm. Dry sub on top can just be controlled with misting, correct?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:46 pm

You might have to go with one that covers the entire back, substrate an all. I'm in Ohio and it's the only way I can keep my smallest tank at temp in the middle of winter. You're right in that if you can't get the temps good while it's warm in the house that it will be that much harder when it's 10 degree colder in a few months.

As far as mold, it's pretty unavoidable. I use saltwater to mix my sub the first time and soak any decor in salt and let it dry completely before putting it in the tank, and that really helps to stave off any problems. Salt doesn't evaporate though so it is possible to add too much which can hurt the hermits. You could spray a few times with saltwater but you'd need keep track of how much you're adding.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram