WILL MY CLIMBING WALL CATCH FIRE??? + MORE

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
caden21

WILL MY CLIMBING WALL CATCH FIRE??? + MORE

Post by caden21 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:07 pm

I am a bit of a beginner to this and have been using a tank heater on the side of my tank for about a week, and it does not heat up the temperature to save its life. I've been wanting to purchase some heat lamps to use for heat and lighting, since it is quite dark in my room, and want to kill 2 birds with one stone. The issue is I'm scared the heat lamp could possibly catch my climbing wall on fire. Will it be an issue? If so, what should I do? I don't want to get rid of my climbing wall. Also, where can I find cheap fake plants, and how do I clean decorations/shells before introducing them to my tank.

CrabMater

Re: WILL MY CLIMBING WALL CATCH FIRE??? + MORE

Post by CrabMater » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi, I can help you out w some stuff. Shells should be boiled in dechlorinated water about 10 mins. i then let cool (30 mins) then i shake out water and if they are cool the touch i put in tank. after that i refresh them when they look grungy w marine salt water. no need to re-boil shells. Wood can be baked but be careful it can catch fire. i soak my wood in salt water for 5 mins and place in tank. plastic plants get a swish in a bowl of dechlor water. i use white vinegar to wipe down glass walls and that kills "crabstink" which can be a problem post molt .
Heat lamps ive not dealt w so ill leave that to another.
good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Same as CrabMater!!

You can find cheap fake plants at the dollar store too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:24 pm

If you're worried about fire risk, getting a better quality UTH and a regular LED light will prevent any problems.

If you mount the light safely it should be fine. The down side is that usually means placing the dome on top the lid, so when you need to get into the tank it means turning the light off 10 to 15 minutes before actually touching or moving it to prevent burns to yourself or melting wherever you need to move it to.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Hello! The problem with heat lamps is they make the humidity evaporate. Have u considered an ultratherm heater? They are great! Much better than zoomeds. Www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com

For shells I first boil mine in dechlorinated fresh water, and then I dip them in dechlorinated marine saltwater. The crabs like them better that way.

As far as wood, if bought from the store, I don't do anything- I just pop it in the tank. If taken from the wild, I freeze it. I live in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com