How do you keep your tank humid?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Giner13

Re: How do you keep your tank humid?

Post by Giner13 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Just remember the UTH for crabs goes on the back of the tank, just above the subdon't want them potentially molting on top of one if it was underneath!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

wodesorel wrote:Ultratherms are good. They keep an even heat and they run really warm so heating an entire tank is child's play.

I also like Flukers, but they cost just as much if not more than ultratherms, so they're really only worth it if you can find them on sale or if you can't order online for some reason. (They used to be manufactured in the EU (possibly by ultratherm?) until a few years ago, and then they started being made in China.) I don't see much of a difference between them and the ultratherms, honestly.

For a hot spot for reptiles, I much prefer the smaller pads like zoomed and zilla. They run at a much cooler temp and aren't as likely to overheat - which means they would do zilch for warming an entire area like a crab tank. lol I also really like the old Fukers that were made in the EU, those things are a dream for herps as they run steady and cooler. I picked up a bunch on sale at Petco a couple years ago and the boxes had to be have been a decade old. Wish I had bought more! I think I actually have one of those on my bedroom 10 gallon crab tank, but I may have scavenged it for one of the snakes and swapped it for a new one since it didn't matter if it ran hotter.
Awesome! Thanks so much! I will pick up one in the next couple days here :D
14 PPs
Follow my hermie instagram account: jellyhermies

Topic author
Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Giner13 wrote:Just remember the UTH for crabs goes on the back of the tank, just above the subImagedon't want them potentially molting on top of one if it was underneath!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! Thanks so much!
14 PPs

MooneyFamily

Post by MooneyFamily » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:12 pm

I have a 75 gallon tank, I just used a store bought humidifier for humans, popped the top off, rigged some tubing into the tank, and covered the top with cling wrap. After about a week, I realized the cling wrap was unnecessary, keeping the humidifier on medium seems to keep me right around 70-80%.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Teddscau

Post by Teddscau » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Well, I'm glad you guys can keep your tanks warm enough, since my UTHs are doing zilch. Hah, I'm going to have to buy a different brand -_-. For humidity, why not see about getting one of those terrarium foggers? I had one for my pitcher plant, but the stupid fogger broke. It was great for humidity, though.

Also, if your enclosure is large enough, why not buy some reptile dishes? I'm talking about those deep(ish) water dishes for pythons and the like to soak in. It's like having little intertidal pools for them to splash around in. Ooh! Great idea! Mossballs! If you have a big enough freshwater dish, you could buy some moss balls! Moss balls are these amazing aquatic plants from Japan that freshwater invertebrates love! Shrimp love climbing all over them, running their claws over it to pick bits of debris off of it. If you do infusoria cultures for your crabs, you can drop a moss ball into the culture and leave it their for a couple of days, then you can drop the moss ball in a water dish for your hermies to forage!

Maybe you could do up a moss wall? Like, with sphagnum or whatever.

Topic author
Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:56 pm

MooneyFamily wrote:I have a 75 gallon tank, I just used a store bought humidifier for humans, popped the top off, rigged some tubing into the tank, and covered the top with cling wrap. After about a week, I realized the cling wrap was unnecessary, keeping the humidifier on medium seems to keep me right around 70-80%.

Interesting! Good to keep in mind!
14 PPs

Topic author
Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Teddscau wrote:Well, I'm glad you guys can keep your tanks warm enough, since my UTHs are doing zilch. Hah, I'm going to have to buy a different brand -_-. For humidity, why not see about getting one of those terrarium foggers? I had one for my pitcher plant, but the stupid fogger broke. It was great for humidity, though.

Also, if your enclosure is large enough, why not buy some reptile dishes? I'm talking about those deep(ish) water dishes for pythons and the like to soak in. It's like having little intertidal pools for them to splash around in. Ooh! Great idea! Mossballs! If you have a big enough freshwater dish, you could buy some moss balls! Moss balls are these amazing aquatic plants from Japan that freshwater invertebrates love! Shrimp love climbing all over them, running their claws over it to pick bits of debris off of it. If you do infusoria cultures for your crabs, you can drop a moss ball into the culture and leave it their for a couple of days, then you can drop the moss ball in a water dish for your hermies to forage!

Maybe you could do up a moss wall? Like, with sphagnum or whatever.
Thank you for all the ideas! The moss balls sound so cute - I wonder if they are safe for hermies.
14 PPs

MooneyFamily

Post by MooneyFamily » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Jellybean! wrote:
MooneyFamily wrote:I have a 75 gallon tank, I just used a store bought humidifier for humans, popped the top off, rigged some tubing into the tank, and covered the top with cling wrap. After about a week, I realized the cling wrap was unnecessary, keeping the humidifier on medium seems to keep me right around 70-80%.

Interesting! Good to keep in mind!
Visual!Image

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:36 am

From personal experience, it is really easy to flood out a tank with a humidifier. Many hold a gallon of water, and if run until dry it pumps a lot of water into the tank in a single day. Gravity pulls it to the bottom of the substrate and whammo, flood.

Don't get me wrong, I loved using mine and it kept me from having to constantly rewet the substrate. But it also caused a few headaches by nearly creating soup!

tl;dr watch it like a hawk until you're sure you've got it set right.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Teddscau

Post by Teddscau » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Jellybean! wrote:Thank you for all the ideas! The moss balls sound so cute - I wonder if they are safe for hermies.
Yeah, moss balls (aka "Marimo") are just the cutest! They're actually a rare morph of a species of filamentous algae. Like I said, they're REALLY popular with shrimp, so hermit crabs should love them too! I can just picture them picking the sediment off of them :). I really miss my shrimp :(. Anyways, if marimo are safe for fish, snails, and shrimp, they should be safe for hermies. Moss balls are also almost impossible to kill, so it doesn't matter if you're typically a plant killer ;). Fudge, I miss my Marimo, too! I should buy another -_- Oh, I finally got the heating issue sorted out! I moved the tank to my bedroom, so now the substrate temperature is between 80° and 82°.

CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:47 am

The only thing I would worry about with the moss balls is the temperature. Their natural habitat is in cool waters of Northern Japan, Iceland, and Scotland. Long term in 80*F+ can take its toll on them.

Artistmom81

Post by Artistmom81 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:02 am

In putting in 2 moss pits today but man, eco earth has done wonders for our humidity!
Mom to 2 girls, 2 boys, 1 chihuahua (Zoey), 1 cat (Sid), 2 bettas (Blu & Stitch), and 5 hermies (4 PP and an Eccie); Big Boy/Grumps (or whatever his mood is) Ralph, Faith, Munchkin & Spidey.
Little Dora(PP hermie) passed on 7/7/2017