Substrate help

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Kaleighshermies

Substrate help

Post by Kaleighshermies » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 pm

I will be moving my crabs into a larger tank soon and need some advice. I want to do a beach theme on one side and a forest theme on the other. I saw other tanks that had playsand on one side of the tank and eco earth on the other side. These tanks had them perfectly split down the middle and I was wondering if anyone knew how to do that.

Also when the sand tends to dry up I heard misting is no longer a common thing. If it gets a little too dry which I tend to not have a problem with how is every one else adding moisture to the sand for that playsand consistency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7 PP Hermies I think? Lost count tbh 5 PPs and 2 Es
Crabbing since 2004

cooperjj

Re: Substrate help

Post by cooperjj » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:30 pm

Not much experience with hermit crabs yet, just got 3 for my daughters recently. But, if I were to do a setup like that I would maybe cut some cardboard or plexiglass or something cheap and rigid the width of the tank and use it as a divider. Once each side is setup pull it out?

May be better ideas out there in sure just something off the top of my head. Good luck!

Topic author
Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks for the tip.

Crabbing since 2004

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Misting is the best way to maintain substrate moisture. I personally just dump cups of water on top when it gets dry and it sorts itself out.

Just remember that the nice division of substrate will last until you have crabs start to bury. Then it will get mixed together. You could put a divider in, but then you have less available molting space which means you tank would support less crabs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm

wodesorel wrote:Misting is the best way to maintain substrate moisture. I personally just dump cups of water on top when it gets dry and it sorts itself out.

Just remember that the nice division of substrate will last until you have crabs start to bury. Then it will get mixed together. You could put a divider in, but then you have less available molting space which means you tank would support less crabs.
Yeah that's what I always did was just pour water in and mix it up. Just wanted to make sure that's still okay. I read a few times on here that some people are against misting because they believe it leads to floods and I was like uh oh lol I pour water right in. Never had an issue.

Yeah I figured it would get mixed after awhile of tunneling from the hermies but still wanna give it a go. :) probably will set something up to divide the substrate and then slide it out carefully after I fill it.

Crabbing since 2004