Substrate

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
afggi

Substrate

Post by afggi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Hello! I was wondering what to use for the hermit crabs substrate. I heard I could use play sand and Eco Earth, but in Australia, I can't find a substance similar to it. Any suggestions of what I could use? Also, what could I use for a substitute tank heater? (Something I could make/use at home until I get a tank heater). Thanks! :D
(Note: I haven't gotten the crabs yet). :D

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Substrate

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! :)

I'm going to tag @aussieJJDude - he also lives in Australia, so maybe he can tell you what he uses as substrate :)

As far as a heater, I know that one of the following companies ships to Australia, I'm just not sure which one, so here's both: www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com They have excellent ultratherms. We use those on the back of our tanks above the substrate to heat the air. :)

Hope that helps :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
afggi

Post by afggi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Thank you GotButterflies! :)
I'll be sure to check them out! Also I found something called Coir Peat (I'll add a link), but I'm unsure wheather it's safe for a crabitat.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-9 ... k_p3023170
:crabbigsmile:

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:53 am

Hey. I just saw.
The coir peat is fine, many aussie crabbers have used it. I tend to find that it has an stronger earthy smell in comparison to coconut fiber. Which doesnt bother me, but bothers the family... if your in Melbourne, i know places such as amazing amazon has coconut fiber in stock if your desperate for it...
As for sand, play sand is what your looking for. The sand from bunnings seem to be a popular choice!
I personally dont use ultratherms since shipping is either going to cost an arm or a leg or not having the Au plug... therefore additional cost for adaptor or just having unnecessary bulkage to your power strip. I personally use the uth from ebay, and imo work well as a uth source. Just get one large enough to cover the back wall above the substrate line and your good to go.
Or consider looking into heat lamps, which can be found at the local pet store. They can dry out the crabitat as a result, but i personally find they work better in tanks bigger than 4-5ft.
For a substitute heater, using a space heater in a room or closet set at 25c will keep them happy in the mean time until you have the proper fixtures.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 am

Hi! Just wanted to say welcome to HCA.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
afggi

Post by afggi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 am

Hi!
Thanks aussieJJDude for the info. I will get the coir peat and play sand from Bunnings. I will also see if I can find and heat lamps at local pet stores.
Also, thanks daws409!
:D

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:54 am

Hi ya another Aussie here. Our crabs like a mix of 8 parts sand to 1 part coir peat. The peat needs to be reconstituted with fresh dechlorinated water. ( a water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramines is important. Prime is good but it is expensive and not totally necessary. API is totally suitable. Play sand and pit peat can be bought at Bunnings. Aim for 28c and 80% humidity. You need a lid that fits well to keep heat and humidity in. Welcome to crabbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 am

Heat mats are better for a heat source or even heat cords. (They look like a power lead but get warm.) lamps tend to lower humidity more quickly.

Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
afggi

Post by afggi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Thank you Renroc!
I will be sure to follow your advise!
Also could I use spring water or distilled water? :?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:49 am

I wouldn't go with heat cords. The reason why i had smoke in my tank one time was due to a very diligent crab getting through a protective coat of a power cord for my salt water pool. Lets just say everything with cord get wrapped with airline tubing! (If one designs a tank in a way that one cant get to the heating cord, then it could work.
Spring water or distilled water is fine, ill just dechlorinate it just in case as many companies add chlorine for a longer shelf life, or just in case they decide to add in chemicals in time. Better safe rather than sorry.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 am

aussieJJDude wrote:I wouldn't go with heat cords. The reason why i had smoke in my tank one time was due to a very diligent crab getting through a protective coat of a power cord for my salt water pool. Lets just say everything with cord get wrapped with airline tubing! (If one designs a tank in a way that one cant get to the heating cord, then it could work.
Spring water or distilled water is fine, ill just dechlorinate it just in case as many companies add chlorine for a longer shelf life, or just in case they decide to add in chemicals in time. Better safe rather than sorry.

The heat cords are supposed to go outside the tat like heat mats. I've got one on the back of my 4ft tank full time and I've added another on the front for winter. This is the first winter I've had this big tank and I didn't get a high enough wattage cord initially. Will need to re arrange and put a thermostat on in summer.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Well. That could certainly work on the outside! Haha, never though of that as if is intended to go on the inside. Do you find that they work just as well as heat mats?

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:09 am

I find that you are able to spread the heat more effectively/evenly