Live Sand

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crabby33

Live Sand

Post by crabby33 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:59 pm

I bought live sand from a PetSmart in Allen, TX thinking it would be a good sub for my crabs but I didn't get a receipt. I have since learned after talking to somebody at Petco via live chat that that sand is not good for hermits because of the live bacteria added and the lady at the PetSmart I bought it from did not tell me the bacteria could be harmful.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Live Sand

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Petco is right - live sand is full of microorganisms that need a fully cycled saltwater tank in order to survive. Without that, they die off and start rotting, which will grow nasty bacteria and emit things like ammonia and methane.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Yeah, I agree. That can be dangerous for my crabs. My mom and I are going to find a way to return it and use the play sand we have at the house.

Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Since PetSmart only stocks freshwater fish, the employees don't usually know much about saltwater aquariums and saltwater supplies....they should take a receipt less return, but they'll probably only be able to give you store credit.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:59 pm

I found a store that carries Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand which is what I bought. The problem is that the store closest to where my mom lives doesn't carry that brand.