Hermit crab calcium sand?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
cannm

Hermit crab calcium sand?

Post by cannm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Does anyone use hermit crab calcium sand in their tank? I was frolicking through Petsmart and saw that they were selling "easy to digest" and "color enhancing" and "all natural" calcium substrate specifically for hermit crabs. Would something like this be beneficial/safe?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit crab calcium sand?

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:09 pm

It's unfortunately a terrible product for them. The calcium sand can harden like cement when it becomes wet and trap them underground. Please stay away from it.

A cuttlebone from the bird department is a better calcium source for them. You can stick it up out of the substrate like a surfboard, or grind it up and give it to them. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
cannm

Post by cannm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:19 pm

They have a bunch of cuttlebone, i was just curious :) thanks.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Yw :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com