Proper temperature??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
TheCrabLord

Proper temperature??

Post by TheCrabLord » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:21 pm

I got 2 new crabs about 3 days back and all they do is sit by the heater... they've somehow convinced one of my other crabs to sit there too. I checked and it's around 90 over there, all they do is dig a small pit and sit there together. Why? My humidity is around 70-80, and my temp is anywhere from 81-85 in the rest of the tank. One of my crabs literally just walks back and forth when she wakes up by it. She also turned all my crabs nocturnal. Her name is Rose, and the only time i see her awake is midnight, hence me calling her Midnight Rose. Kind of just want her to go down and molt already, since she's missing a leg. Is she prepping for a molt? One of my crabs just molted and my other is still under so it's not like they're all going to molt. On a funny note, somebody said that 65-85 degrees was okay for a crab to live with, lol.

PinchersAndShells

Re: Proper temperature??

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:37 pm

You could try seeing if your thermometer is accurate by placing it in a room with a thermostat and seeing if the temperatures on the thermometer and thermostat match up. My crabs used to do this as well. But you'd definitely want to keep the temperatures 80°f or higher, prolonged exposures to cold temperatures can slow down their organs functioning process.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Mine do this as well, and my tank is regularly upper 80s to 90 since I have Es and PPs housed together (Es like it a bit warmer and the PPs don't mind). Yet they all love sitting by the big heat lamp while they sleep. As long as you have areas where they can be both cool and hot, and in the "mid range" so to speak, they'll regulate their own temperature :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:51 pm

hi, my crabs go thru phases like this. sometimes they cant get enough UVB light and hang from the screen. sometimes they sit under the cork log for 3 days (during the day) I trust them to regulate their needs bc at night they have a completely different life. if your gauges are correct, I'd let them be. crabs are weird.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
TheCrabLord

Post by TheCrabLord » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Thing is, she's almost always by the heater which worries me since the food and water is a bit farther. She just walks the length of the heater. As for accuracy of the thermometer I've feel a blast of heat every time I open the lid and I can feel the heating pad, also if I move it towards the heating pad it goes up to 88-90 could she be not a pp? I got her from a pet store with no specifications. She's in a long shell and is a vivid purple

hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 pm

I'm sure she eats and drinks when she needs to! I wouldn't worry too much as long as she has what she needs :) Es are immediately recognizable by their oval shaped eyes (think of the robot Wall-E) and are brown or tan. PPs vary in color, but their large pincher is always purple and they have small round eyes. Sounds like you have a PP. They love the heat too, so no worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)