Crab Questions

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Crab Questions

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:39 pm

HI, I have some questions that I need answers to. It's coming up on a year that I've kept hermit crabs, but many more since I started reading about them.
I need some dedicated, and hard answers to my questions.

Question 1: Handling

How often should a hermit crab be handled?
I handle my crabs every few days, and try to not do it often, as to not scare them. I'll usually just observe what their doing at the given time. Although, I will commonly handle them to redo their setup, and by that I mean fixing the dirt, and repositioning some of the decor.

Question 2: Rearrangement

Is it OK to rearrange a setup every few weeks?
My crabs always make a mess, and I like to redo everything a bit each week, and make it better for them.

Question 3: Heating

I have a ZooMed UTH. Should I get another?
Currently, my tank is heated by 1 ZooMed UTH, and it just isn't kicking it for the crabs. I wanted to know if I should get another one, or a stronger UTH?

Hopefully my questions are doable, and I really appreciate answers from other members!
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Crab Questions

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 pm

I don't recommend handling them until they've molted at least once for you. They go through heck before they get home, and they need to conserve as much energy as possible for that repairing molt. After that, it's really up to you. I know a lot of crabbers are hands off with their crabs, but so long as you're careful with them handling them won't harm them. I move mine around while straightening up without a second thought.

They do have a memory of where things were. I personally wouldn't change the major stuff like access to a second level or their favorite hide so that they don't get confused if they get scared, but everything else can get moved around to keep them enriched.

For the price and hassle, upgrading to an appropriate sized Ultratherm would probably be the easiest. If you can get a cheap Zoomed and you only need a few degrees it might work, but the prices are usually the same and the heating will be much better with an Ultratherm.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:18 pm

wodesorel wrote:I don't recommend handling them until they've molted at least once for you. They go through heck before they get home, and they need to conserve as much energy as possible for that repairing molt. After that, it's really up to you. I know a lot of crabbers are hands off with their crabs, but so long as you're careful with them handling them won't harm them. I move mine around while straightening up without a second thought.

They do have a memory of where things were. I personally wouldn't change the major stuff like access to a second level or their favorite hide so that they don't get confused if they get scared, but everything else can get moved around to keep them enriched.

For the price and hassle, upgrading to an appropriate sized Ultratherm would probably be the easiest. If you can get a cheap Zoomed and you only need a few degrees it might work, but the prices are usually the same and the heating will be much better with an Ultratherm.
Alright, so I have handled all my crabs so far, even the ones that haven't molted, but I'll do what you suggested!
Rocky, he's the only one who has molted that I still have, as my other molter was attacked durning a molt. Sadly, I wish he would have lived.

Ok, right now I don't have a full 2nd floor, but I do have a hammock that I use to make one. I'll start leaving their coconut hide, and hammock in the same areas.
Usually, I'll just change the dirt position, and move the driftwood, and plants.

I'll look into getting a UltraTherm heater then!
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:50 am

@daws409
I have a question. Currently, my crabitat is at 70 degrees, and I really want to get it warmer.
Can I place my tank out in the garage? If you want to know what the garage is like, then here are details.

Garage:

Large, two car garage, with two vehicles in it. It has a large door to drive out of, and a back door leading to a porch. Sun beams in through the back door, but not brightly.
It's dark in there, but quite warm at times. There is no air conditioning in there, but it's room temp is around 80-85 durning warm days.
Crabber Since 2016

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 am

I personally wouldn't keep them in the garage. Not saying that you would BUT you may forget about them - food/water... And if you have any friendly ones (don't hide when walking by tank or going into the tank for maintenance) they will become skittish because lack activity surrounding the tank. Hope that makes sense! Edit: if you have any molters down, moving the tank can cause their caves to collapse which makes them suffocate.

What kind of gauges do you have? Analog tends to go wonky after a bit. I recommend a digital set. Most use a brand called acurite (under $10) from Wal-Mart or any hardware store.... Have they been calibrated lately?

For temporary heating you could use a regular house/desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb. Please be aware that lights do tend to zap humidity! You could even use a towel fresh out of the dryer (no dryer sheets) to wrap the tank... Long-term heating, I suggest getting an ultratherm brand UTH http://www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:24 am

Thank you daws!
I'll be doing the lamp idea for heating.How do you calibrate a analog thermometer? That's what I have, but totally getting a digital!

I have one friendly crab, Giam and he mostly stays out of hiding, and on the hammock. My other crabs are friendly when being held, but like to burrow. The recent crab I got is always hiding though.
I'm always spraying the tank with a bottle of treated water. :)
Crabber Since 2016

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 am

Calibrating a hygrometer: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92540

Calibrating thermometer - you just sit it about around your thermostat (within 10 ft) and get the ambient temp from that.

And with analog (and some digitals, not all) you have to mentally remember what to add/substrate. I like to write mine on the back cause each gauge is different. I have 4 digital dual gauges.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Hermits are known to be extremely sensitive to air quality. I would worry about the off gassing of the cars (hot engine oil, exhaust, gasoline fumes) doing serious damage to their gills. Even starting up one of the cars with the door down could be enough to kill them, people have reported perfume and scented candles killing their crabs before and those things aren't even harmful to humans!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 pm

wodesorel wrote:Hermits are known to be extremely sensitive to air quality. I would worry about the off gassing of the cars (hot engine oil, exhaust, gasoline fumes) doing serious damage to their gills. Even starting up one of the cars with the door down could be enough to kill them, people have reported perfume and scented candles killing their crabs before and those things aren't even harmful to humans!
Make sense! Why didn't I think of that!? I do use scentsy wax melts occasionally and there's always a febreeze noticeable plugged in. They're in the same room but 15+ ft away from the tats... I've never noticed any problems with my tats tho!

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:29 pm

I don't use any scented things very often, but I run an oil air diffuser. It's on the other floor though, so they crabs don't smell it at all.
Hm, if I can't put the wooden terrarium in the garage, I'll have to keep it inside. It's not going to be a major issue on the 2nd floor, because it's not an aquarium. Those weigh twice, or three times of what a 150 terrarium would.

The new build is 150 gallons and dimensions are 60x24x24.
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Alright, I just served my crabs their dinner!
Today's Menu: Shredded Coconut, with Raw Honey. Topped off with fresh romaine lettuce, and walnuts. I also added a bit of rotisserie chicken with no sauces, or spices. I rinsed it off just in case.

I hope they like it, it's my new blend of organic foods! :D
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:06 pm

@daws
I'm planning to do a rearranging job on my terrarium, which would be adding more EE and moving the 2nd floor hammock into place again.

They didn't exactly find the food last night, but it always goes this way. The crabs will be served, and won't recognize the food till the next day.
Crabber Since 2016