Nacho's 55 adventure!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Re: Nacho's 55 adventure!

Post by Nachoqtpie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:47 am

He has one of those bigger "rock caves" but he never actually goes inside of it. He will sit on top of it and just perch there. He used to go inside every once in a while, but when we moved into the bigger tank he dug up on the inside and now he doesn't go insider any more. I don't know what else to get for him. The littles hang out more than he does as it seems he's tried to take over the Squidward house and trapped one of therm in there and now try won't go back in. Maybe I'm personifying them too much?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Teddscau

Post by Teddscau » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Hmm, definitely looks a little naked in there. I'd gather up a bunch of fresh hermit crab-safe leaves, dry them in the oven, then toss some in the tank. Also, they probably want you to add some crab-safe branches for them to climb. Try some cork bark hides, too. Also, add some safe bark in there to add texture and food. Maybe add some rocks for them to hide behind, rest on, tunnel under, etc. Oh, have you thought about try an unglazed terracotta pot for him to hide in? See if you can find a large bridge in the aquarium section at the store. I have three large crabs, and they can all fit under it. I just have one end of the bridge ontop of a coconut hut so there's more space under it for them to hide.

Man, I total forgot about Jolly balls! Buy him a Jolly ball for parrots (these Jolly balls have holes cut in them so the birds can play inside the ball). They're a bit expensive, but he'll definitely fit in one of those. Hmm, or you could get him a dried gourd that's been waterproofed using beeswax or some other safe sealant.

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:51 pm

I really want to put a topper on, but I don't know how to make it stable! I've added a few more things in there since my last picture. He CAN fit in the bottom of the Squidward house, but I'm going to bet his next shell change he will be too big. I found this REALLY COOL driftwood thing at petsmart... but it's plastic. I wish it were real wood! I know it's super bare... I am going on the first to get a bunch of stuff. Hubby wanted a new handgun I said fine, but that meant I got to buy crabitat stuff and he couldn't complain and he agreed. so I'll be buying more vines, coco huts, fake plants, etc. I still have my plan for the raised shell shop too.

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Went to petsmart today to return my unused eco earth and get some more fake plants (paid an extra 41c for 3 more... lol)

Would either of these work as climbing for when I put the topper on?ImageImage

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Yes those will work... BUT if you can get your hands on some oak, dog wood, or maple branches and at a good sized diameter, they can munch on it too! So basically they'll serve two purposes - climbing and munching lol. If you were a little closer to me I'd give you some ;)

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm

How far are from me again daws?
I'm going to see if I can find some. Hopefully I can.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Between Raleigh and Wilson

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:05 pm