Help...nighttime light

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crystaljeanne

Help...nighttime light

Post by crystaljeanne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:28 am

4 kids
4 dogs
3 PP
3 Strawberries
And 1 husband..lol

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help...nighttime light

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:39 am

I wouldnt, its believed and studied thay crabs can see into the red spectra. Instead, go to your local pet store and purchase a proper night light, which will be bluish purple. Just make sure it's not too bright and try not to always have it on (supplemental light for night viewing only)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
crystaljeanne

Post by crystaljeanne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:40 am

If I don't keep a light on at night what can I do to keep the heat at the right temperature?
4 kids
4 dogs
3 PP
3 Strawberries
And 1 husband..lol

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:14 am

I have used chick breeder bulbs in the past in a pinch, but I never quite liked exposing them to that much light all the time.

A good quality UTH is the best way to go, unlike bulbs they never burn out and need replaced, and they don't effect the humidity in the tank the way lights do.

Otherwise a ceramic heat emitter will put out heat without putting out light. They're a little tricky to set up properly, but they pack a punch when it comes to heat.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:22 am

I wouldn't. It's a halogen flood so I assume it gets rather hot. I'm using a double dome For heat at the moment. For night time I use a 75w blue/purple reptile night bulb on a dimmer. I get them at Walmart for around $5 or so in the pet section by the fish. Works good. Keeps the tank warm and gives off a purple-y glow for viewing crabbies.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:32 am

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:50 am

Hello! I use an UTH for heat, and then I use this on the ceiling: https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Night- ... ptile+moon
It's pretty cool :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:39 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! I use an UTH for heat, and then I use this on the ceiling: https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Night- ... ptile+moon
Oh that is way cool! I think I will have to get one of theses when I switch to an ultratherm this winter.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Hello! I use an UTH for heat, and then I use this on the ceiling: https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Night- ... ptile+moon
Oh that is way cool! I think I will have to get one of theses when I switch to an ultratherm this winter.
Thanks! Yes, I love it!! It lights up my crab room! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com