Humidity

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby Mom

Humidity

Post by Crabby Mom » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm

I've tried everything to keep my tank humidity around 80%, but nothing works and it stays between 40 and 50%. I've added two moss pits, misting, two water dishes with sponges, wetting the sand...what else can I do!? The tank is not by any windows and I'm only using a heat lamp which has been keeping the temp around 80 at one end and low 70s at the other. Why can't I regulate the humidity? I'm very upset that my four hermies are suffering and I can't do anything about it! They seem ok, although they have been less active since the drop in humidity. They still look healthy, so how do I know if they're ok? I live in WNY so temps are constantly changing and I need a method that actually works to keep the humidity up...please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
7 PPs: Shy,Jade, Moses, David, Esther, Mira, Joshua
RIP: Big G (PP), Little Blackie (E), Busta (PP), Ruth (PP), Daniel (PP)

Marie_in_Oz

Re: Humidity

Post by Marie_in_Oz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 pm

I use an upside down take away Container with a wet warm paper towel inside. I like it bcz they'll crawl in and I can still see them. I drench my coconut husk as well. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marie_in_Oz

Post by Marie_in_Oz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Marie_in_Oz wrote:I use an upside down take away Container with a wet warm paper towel inside. I like it bcz they'll crawl in and I can still see them. I drench my coconut husk as well. Image

I also keep plastic wrap over the exposed mesh areas.Image

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Crabby Mom wrote:I've tried everything to keep my tank humidity around 80%, but nothing works and it stays between 40 and 50%. I've added two moss pits, misting, two water dishes with sponges, wetting the sand...what else can I do!? The tank is not by any windows and I'm only using a heat lamp which has been keeping the temp around 80 at one end and low 70s at the other. Why can't I regulate the humidity? I'm very upset that my four hermies are suffering and I can't do anything about it! They seem ok, although they have been less active since the drop in humidity. They still look healthy, so how do I know if they're ok? I live in WNY so temps are constantly changing and I need a method that actually works to keep the humidity up...please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
Hey CrabbyMommy, how deep is your sub? i found my struggles getting my tank out of the 60s when my sub was less than 6". now that its 8" things are great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 pm

A few things come to mind:

- Lights tend to zap humidity. Could you get/use an ultratherm heater instead? I would try to get an ultratherm from http://www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com You'll want the biggest that will fit along the back and ABOVE the sub.

- Have you calibrated your guages lately? What kind do you have? Digital are more accurate than analog. Analog tend to get wonky over time... You can find a dual digital set at Wal-Mart or any hardware store for around $10. (Usually kept with air filters)

- How deep is your sub? Usually deeper sub does better. It also helps to have eco earth (ee) mixed in -if you're using straight sand. The sub also needs to be sand castle consistency.

Edit - calibrate guage link: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92540
Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Another thought... How deep are your pools? Have you tried adding bubblers to them? Alot of people use doubled up Tupperware with ramps or stones for exits and bubblers for increasing humidity. Here's a link: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 8#p1030388

Another edit lol: Please stop misting your tank. This could lead to flooding your tank if it's done too often.
Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Also, you mentioned pools with sponges, but not bubblers.

An air pump (used for fishtanks) set up with airline tubing and an airstone (all available over the Internet of at local pet stuff selling places) in a deep-ish pool can really help humidity (especially if placed by a heat source), in tandem with the other suggestions listed above.

Especially with smaller tanks & low sub (six inches is a recommended minimum) maintaining 80% humidity can feel like war.
:tank:

Edit: beat to the punch by daws409.... what she said. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:25 pm

Marie_in_Oz wrote:I use an upside down take away Container with a wet warm paper towel inside. I like it bcz they'll crawl in and I can still see them. I drench my coconut husk as well. Image

I would not recommend using a paper towel. Hermit crabs will be tempted to eat it, and there is no telling what kind of chemicals have been used to process the paper towel. I have also heard that heat can make plastic leach chemicals~ but I don’t know if there is any truth to that...

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 pm

I second (or third? Lol) the bubblers! They work wonders!!!
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Substrate should be a minimum of 6” or three times the height of your largest crab (whichever is deeper wins).

Pools should be deep enough for your crabs to fully submerge in, and safely get out of.

Do you have a lid on your tank? I personally prefer glass lids.

I agree with what has already been said. Heat lamps tend to make humidity evaporate.

Good luck!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Crabby Mom

Post by Crabby Mom » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks everyone! I will be upgrading to a 40 gallon and will get bigger water dishes as well as mixing my sand with eco earth (5:1 ratio). I truly appreciate all of your help! So far I've been able to maintain 75-80% humidity! :D I'm fairly new to keeping hermit crabs and I was panicking when everything I researched wasn't working! My substrate is about 6", but I will be mixing it for more consistent humidity... I hope! Thanks again!!
7 PPs: Shy,Jade, Moses, David, Esther, Mira, Joshua
RIP: Big G (PP), Little Blackie (E), Busta (PP), Ruth (PP), Daniel (PP)

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 am

WOOT!

Upgrades are so exciting!! :banana:

Be sure to give us pictures! :D
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(