Humidity Frustrations

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Just Jay

Humidity Frustrations

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 am

So my tank had been running great. No problems, no complaints. of course something had to go wrong right? Image out of nowhere my humidity on the right or [m] sw side side is dipping as low as the mid to high 60s. The fw or left side is perfect high 99 to high 80s. The only time it dips to the high to mid 70s is when the sw side gets to the low 70s to 60s. Yes, i mist frequently. I also have my roommate misting but when i come home from work and sometimes in between its back to the 60s.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Left/fw side is 8in. Middle is 6.5in. Right or sw [msw mixed with oceanic salt mix added to my fw. Fw is made with Prime.] Side is 10.5in. Sub is EE blocks mixed with 90% fw and 10% [m] sw. Fw and sw made as mentioned above. I will say i have more blocks coming in. Have been waiting for it to settle before adding more.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I have two gauges and three sensors between them. I have an exo terra single sensor on the left/fw side. Temp 83.8 humidity 99% only ever dips when the sw/right side dips too low. Zoomed double sensor on the right/sw sids temp is 84 humidity is the struggle listed above. I have moved the sensors around. Similar reading if not the exact same.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes. I have two uth on the back tank wall. Roughly just under the middle of the tank. I also have a ceramic dome light that is on a dimmer. Usually a white or basking bulb is in or a red basking bulb.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fw and msw are offered all the time. I have the largest size kritter keeper with the next size under it nested inside for my fw pool. Fw is treated with prime. Msw pool is the next two sizes of kritter keeper under the fw pool. Msw is treated with oceanic salt.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
All food from the safe lists. I feed mainly freeze dried, raw, dehydrated or dried. Food is changed depending on what is offered. Also how fast it goes bad. In the tank i have three cork wood pieces, cuttlefish bone, dried sea grass netting and a sprout patch. All food dishes are cow hoofs or plastic containers. The plastic is suction cupped on the sea grass netting off the sub floor.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have five PPs. Three for a year or just over and two for three to four months.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I have a calendar with their molt dates. They are all happy and healthy some unless anyone needs it....

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
40gl long glass aquarium. With two glass canopy tops.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
I have five PPs. One teeny [Gary previously known as Herman-m], One small [Tina-f] Between medium and large. Closer to large [RoxSand-f]. Just under/inside the large size ring [Hermione-f]. Lastly my second just inside large size circle [Eugene-m].

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
I have about 30 in the tank i think right now? Not too sure. I do know i dont have a bunch of size options for mt large crabs. But i do have 50 shells coming this week hurricane aside. [I live where the new cat.1 will be affecting Louisiana]

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Nothing they have not already been exposed too or unsafe.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
At most apple cider is used to wipe the glass. [Once when i had mites tilk i had no mites] other than that food is changed and if any mold happens that is cleaned. I do have live plants and any that are devoured to a messy point are removed.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
My seeds have sprouted. ..but the seed was grown in the tank not sprouts added.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I have no idea if i sound crazy or not but i think its my fat cats fault. [He isnt fat im just frustrated :lol:] he has been trying to k5ay on top of the tank to bask in the light for as long as ive had him. The lids are definitely a little weak now. Probably going to try to replace them asap.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Listed in the beginning. Not an emergency just figured the template is the best way to go over my tank and hopefully figure out whats wrong. Can i fix/change.

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Humidity Frustrations

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:43 am

Heya, have you calibrated your hygrometer recently?

They do get out of whack: here's the how to...

viewtopic.php?t=92540

And I don't recall - do you have bubblers?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:49 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Heya, have you calibrated your hygrometer recently?

They do get out of whack: here's the how to...

viewtopic.php?t=92540

And I don't recall - do you have bubblers?
I do have a bubbler but it is not in use...i guess i could plug it in and try that. Ill definitely calibrate it and see how its reading hopefully thatd it. The screen has been weak. I wonder if i should swap the exo and zoomed and see if they read the same?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:16 am

Could try that, for sure.
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:27 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Could try that, for sure.
Yeah i might have to. I have no i dea why but ive just been hesitant to use it. Also really annoyed that nothing changed in my tank but the humidity will not stop dropping.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Did you try calibration yet? Before anything else, give that a shot.

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:54 pm

I am doing that today. We have nate hitting today.....tomorrow? So i plan on using that and some house chores to keep be busy. Haha

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:48 pm

I agree with LJJ! Calibrate gauges first. Bubblers definitely help boost humidity ~ but I have a feeling your gauges may have gone wonky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com