very new crab owner with many many questions

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

very new crab owner with many many questions

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 pm

My daughter came home in June from Florida with 2 hermit crabs in one of those small plastic "tanks". I'm surprised they survived. She was leaving for college in August so she gave them to a friend. The friend returned them about 3 wks ago, so now it's up to me to take care of them. I have done TONS of research. Got a 10gal tank. I think they would be considered small. About the size of a quarter. But with everything they need in there it seemed really small, so I got what I thought was a 20gal from a friend, but it's really a 15gal and didn't give me much more space. My daughter wanted another hermit crab so we got one. I guess they are getting along, however, they all seem to be buried during the day. I was up last night and only saw the new one out and about. I'm just flumoxed with all the info I've been learning. To be honest, I am creeped out by their legs/claws. I'm sorry, I know that sounds awful but I won't let them crawl on me. Remember, they were my daughter's. How do I know if substrate is getting moldy below surface? I never see them climb. And since UVB rays can't get through a mesh screen, which I have, what do I do to get them those rays? I guess that's it for now. Help please. lol

DaJimmer

Re: very new crab owner with many many questions

Post by DaJimmer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 pm

For starters just worry about your Basics like the proper products to build your crabitat and then dialing in the climate of your crabitat.
I personally use a 10 gallon tank play sand I found at Home Depot and sphagnum Moss I found at Home Depot for substrate. Thank you for taking pity on the little buggers I'm sure they will be quite happy just being left alone in side of their new home. Search a lot and read even more.
viewforum.php?f=51
This is what my 10 gallon looks like I started a month ago
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=115534
Substrate needs to be three times the height of your largest crab at least. Temperature should be 75 to 85 degrees and humidity should be similar 75 - 85%.
A diet of organic fruits vegetables keeps them safe from pesticides. They need animal proteins to like shell on shrimp beef fish you name it. You can also feed things like dried crickets and mealworms bloodworms Etc crabs are scavengers so they eat about anything but that doesn't mean they're always in the mood for everything their needs will change through Cycles.
-Jimmer

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Hello, again :)

Hermits do tend to stay buried for the most part until the night. I do have some diurnal crabs...but most of them are nocturnal. Was the substate mixed with dechlorinated marine salt water? The substrate really shouldn't get moldy tbh. What do you have for climbing in your tank. Give them time to get acclimated to their environment. That can take days/weeks/months - they are individual creatures...

UVB isn't necessary unless they are Strawberry Hermit Crabs. I personally recommend it for all crabs, but not necessary. Make sure long heat is 80-85, and humidity is a minimum of 80 or above. :) Please let us know if you have any questions. We are happy to help!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:24 pm

DaJimmer wrote:For starters just worry about your Basics like the proper products to build your crabitat and then dialing in the climate of your crabitat.
I personally use a 10 gallon tank play sand I found at Home Depot and sphagnum Moss I found at Home Depot for substrate. Thank you for taking pity on the little buggers I'm sure they will be quite happy just being left alone in side of their new home. Search a lot and read even more.
viewforum.php?f=51
This is what my 10 gallon looks like I started a month ago
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=115534
Substrate needs to be three times the height of your largest crab at least. Temperature should be 75 to 85 degrees and humidity should be similar 75 - 85%.
A diet of organic fruits vegetables keeps them safe from pesticides. They need animal proteins to like shell on shrimp beef fish you name it. You can also feed things like dried crickets and mealworms bloodworms Etc crabs are scavengers so they eat about anything but that doesn't mean they're always in the mood for everything their needs will change through Cycles.
Thank you. I am using just coconut fiber substrate. And about 5 inches deep. It's hard to keep the temp/humidity steady. I am feeding them better than my family with fresh fruit and veggies. And dried baby shrimp, peanut butter and pecans for protein so far. I already know that it never looks like they eat. But they are, right? I have 4 empty shells for them, but have never seen them look at them, let alone try them on. I know I need a couple more since I now have 3 crabs. Like I said, the 15gal tank seems too small. They have almost no room to just walk around. I have a cuttlebone in there that they also never seem to nibble on.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello, again :)

Hermits do tend to stay buried for the most part until the night. I do have some diurnal crabs...but most of them are nocturnal. Was the substate mixed with dechlorinated marine salt water? The substrate really shouldn't get moldy tbh. What do you have for climbing in your tank. Give them time to get acclimated to their environment. That can take days/weeks/months - they are individual creatures...

UVB isn't necessary unless they are Strawberry Hermit Crabs. I personally recommend it for all crabs, but not necessary. Make sure long heat is 80-85, and humidity is a minimum of 80 or above. :) Please let us know if you have any questions. We are happy to help!
For climbing I have a decorative log, a driftwood log, a bridge type thing with stairs on each side and a bird toy macrame type thing above the bridge. I mixed the substrate with dechlorinated water.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Sound like you have a great variety :) I’m not sure what macrame is.

Mold doesn’t hurt crabs. Just us. Don’t worry- should be a-okay! If it does get moldy, in the future, use dechlorinated Marine saltwater to mix it Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Sound like you have a great variety :) I’m not sure what macrame is.

Mold doesn’t hurt crabs. Just us. Don’t worry- should be a-okay! If it does get moldy, in the future, use dechlorinated Marine saltwater to mix it Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Macrame is like a rope knitted I guess.

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 am

Haha don't feel bad about thinking they are creepy! :lol:
Many many crabbers here are "hands off" with their crabs only touching them when it's necessary. They don't require human attention and affection or playtime out of the tank. Some people do do those things but to each his own.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:08 am

Happyhermiehome wrote:Haha don't feel bad about thinking they are creepy! :lol:
Many many crabbers here are "hands off" with their crabs only touching them when it's necessary. They don't require human attention and affection or playtime out of the tank. Some people do do those things but to each his own.
Thank you! I appreciate that.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Hiya, just wanted to throw in that not only will you not be judged for finding them creepy, but I super-love that you're going to all this trouble for animals you wouldn't necessarily have chosen... kudos! :D

Initially, getting that 80° & 80% humidity/temperature going steady in your tank can be a learning g curve, especially with smaller tanks, and as the heat comes on in the winter (assuming that's a thing where you live). If you have trouble with that there are a few tricks for dealing with it.

Also, on the subject of shells - if you haven't read the shell guide yet & were planning to buy more, it's worth a read. :)
Its here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92552
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:26 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Hiya, just wanted to throw in that not only will you not be judged for finding them creepy, but I super-love that you're going to all this trouble for animals you wouldn't necessarily have chosen... kudos! :D

Initially, getting that 80° & 80% humidity/temperature going steady in your tank can be a learning g curve, especially with smaller tanks, and as the heat comes on in the winter (assuming that's a thing where you live). If you have trouble with that there are a few tricks for dealing with it.

Also, on the subject of shells - if you haven't read the shell guide yet & were planning to buy more, it's worth a read. :)
Its here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92552

Thank you. I think I'm already attached although still find them creepy. :lol: I looked at the shell guide and it's really confusing. I have no idea what breed these are. I got some different type shells, boiled them, then dipped them in the dechlorinated salt water.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Is it the crabs or the (snail) shells that you can't identify? :)

In the u.s. & can., there's a strong chance the crabs are purple pinchers, or possibly ecuadorians. Are their big claws purple & their eyes kinda round?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(