Tank size

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Tank size

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 pm

I have what I guess are 3 small hermit crabs in a 15gal tank. With all the items in it there's really no walking space. And I never see them climb over stuff. I've been reading they need room to walk around. I'm thinking of getting a 20 gal long but I just transferred them to this a week ago. Will that be too stressful? And one has been buried for awhile. I have no idea if he's moulting or just likes being buried.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Happyhermiehome

Re: Tank size

Post by Happyhermiehome » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:57 am

I would wait till the buried guy comes up :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Keep in mind that a 20 gallon will only give you six more inches on one end. It won't be a whole lot more space.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:09 pm

I found (and find) smaller tanks unsatisfying... I'd recommend gradually saving for a larger tank, if that's something you'd want. Keep in mind you can get cheaper tanks though non-petstore venues, like aquarium forum buy & sell pages, Craigs list, etc.

Taking the time to consider & find what you really want/need at an affordable price point can pay off. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:40 pm

^^ I couldn't agree more! I would try to aim for a 40 Breeder if possible - less upgrading down the road if you don't overcrowd. They measure 36Lx18Wx16H. They're nice starter tanks IMO and many love the floor print... Craigslist, LetGo, OfferUp, etc. Search reptile, aquarium, terrarium, tank - Remember, they don't have to hold water. Good Luck!

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Thank you guys! I saw a 40 gal tank in a pet store today (not shopping for that) and thought wow! Why would I want a 20gal? Lol. I'll look around for a 40.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:34 pm

daws409 wrote:^^ I couldn't agree more! I would try to aim for a 40 Breeder if possible - less upgrading down the road if you don't overcrowd. They measure 36Lx18Wx16H. They're nice starter tanks IMO and many love the floor print... Craigslist, LetGo, OfferUp, etc. Search reptile, aquarium, terrarium, tank - Remember, they don't have to hold water. Good Luck!

I found a 55gal tank on Letgo for $50! I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
daws409 wrote:-CUT
I found a 55gal tank on Letgo for $50! I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.
That's great!

Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Petco and Pets Supplies Plus run regular $1 a gallon sales, and they do include the 40 gallons for $40. There should be another one coming up over the winter.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 pm

wodesorel wrote:Petco and Pets Supplies Plus run regular $1 a gallon sales, and they do include the 40 gallons for $40. There should be another one coming up over the winter.
Thank you. I think I did see that at Petco today.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 am

Happyhermiehome wrote:I would wait till the buried guy comes up :)
How would I really know if he came up if he only comes out at night? I could smooth the surface but if they tunnel he could come up in a different spot. :?
I saw 2 of the 3 the other evening. And 1 of those I see pretty much every evening. I guess being a crab mom requires a lot of patience. Which I don't really have. :( I'm just anxious to get them in a bigger tank.

aprilmay

Post by aprilmay » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:50 am

a crab comes out of a molt will be very sandy, so he will track sand everywhere: water pool, food dish. that's how we found out when our first crab came up after a 5 weeks molt. but it will only work if you have only one molter in the tank.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:34 pm

aprilmay wrote:a crab comes out of a molt will be very sandy, so he will track sand everywhere: water pool, food dish. that's how we found out when our first crab came up after a 5 weeks molt. but it will only work if you have only one molter in the tank.
They come out without a shell, right? That's when they get a larger shell?

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Nooooo-no-nope. Shells on, always. Like bicycle helmets on little kids riding bikes. Or seat belts.

They moult in their shells, they dig in their shells, and the only time they ideally are out of shell is to change shells topside.

A crab who emerges from a dig shell-less has got its shell stuck, or is streaking. That crab needs to re-shell ASAP.

Offer shells to shell-less crabs or they will dehydrate rapidly.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:55 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Nooooo-no-nope. Shells on, always. Like bicycle helmets on little kids riding bikes. Or seat belts.

They moult in their shells, they dig in their shells, and the only time they ideally are out of shell is to change shells topside.

A crab who emerges from a dig shell-less has got its shell stuck, or is streaking. That crab needs to re-shell ASAP.

Offer shells to shell-less crabs or they will dehydrate rapidly.
Wow. Ok. Thanks. So if they molt in their shells, why can't they carefully be moved, in the substrate surrounding them, to a new crabitat? I know they get stressed easily.