Frustrated

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Frustrated

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 pm

I'm still very new. I have 3 small crabbies in a 15 gal tank. But with all the accessories there's not much place for them to walk around. And I have no room to put in a pool. And I can't set up a bubbler for humidity, which I'm having a real problem maintaining. But...I can't move them into the 40 gal tank I just got them because one of my guys has been buried for 3wks. Of course I don't know if he's moulting. And I can't disturb him in case he is. Although from what I've read he didn't have pre moulting signs. I had just moved them from the small pet shop cage they were in (only 2) that my daughter had them in for 3 months. I don't know what to do. And I think my substrate is too moist. I am using only eco earth. But I have to mist alot. I don't mist the floor only the fake plants. I have a piece of moss and a sponge. Help.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aprilmay

Re: Frustrated

Post by aprilmay » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:52 am

Welcome to HCA! I'm making some comments in line below. but you might want to fill in this template so the experts can help you with more focused suggestions based on your setup.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102
Cherylco55 wrote:I'm still very new. I have 3 small crabbies in a 15 gal tank. But with all the accessories there's not much place for them to walk around. And I have no room to put in a pool.
First of all, crab doesn't need that much open space. they actually prefer to walk on an obstacle course! :) they are really good climbers.
Secondly, water source is important. i would trade some accessories for one fresh water and one salt water pool/plate/dish/tupperware, since you have small crabs, maybe your dish/tupperware can be on the small size.
Cherylco55 wrote:And I can't set up a bubbler for humidity, which I'm having a real problem maintaining.
what kind of lid do you have? is it completely sealed? with my 15gl, i found out if i'm using UTH on the side and a very well sealed lid, i can maintain pretty high humidity without a bubbler.

out of curiosity, what's preventing you from setting a bubbler? it is pretty simple, just a small pump, a tube and an airstone.
Cherylco55 wrote:But...I can't move them into the 40 gal tank I just got them because one of my guys has been buried for 3wks. Of course I don't know if he's moulting.
you could move the 2 above ground to the 40 gl. it is actually better to move them now cuz you don't know whether they will bury when the other one is up!
Cherylco55 wrote:And I can't disturb him in case he is. Although from what I've read he didn't have pre moulting signs. I had just moved them from the small pet shop cage they were in (only 2) that my daughter had them in for 3 months. I don't know what to do. And I think my substrate is too moist. I am using only eco earth. But I have to mist alot. I don't mist the floor only the fake plants. I have a piece of moss and a sponge. Help.
I think i understand how you feel. i was spray like crazy before i figured out using a heat lamp kept on zapping my humidity! UTH is much better.

again, try to fill in the template and we can go from there! Things will get better! hang in there.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:I'm still very new. I have 3 small crabbies in a 15 gal tank. But with all the accessories there's not much place for them to walk around. And I have no room to put in a pool. And I can't set up a bubbler for humidity, which I'm having a real problem maintaining. But...I can't move them into the 40 gal tank I just got them because one of my guys has been buried for 3wks. Of course I don't know if he's moulting. And I can't disturb him in case he is. Although from what I've read he didn't have pre moulting signs. I had just moved them from the small pet shop cage they were in (only 2) that my daughter had them in for 3 months. I don't know what to do. And I think my substrate is too moist. I am using only eco earth. But I have to mist alot. I don't mist the floor only the fake plants. I have a piece of moss and a sponge. Help.
Hi! :)

What is most important is that they have places to dig down to molt. They do need places to walk around. To help with exercise, some of us use modified hamster wheels. I have three in my 100g, and 1 in each of my other three crabitats. I highly recommend them! Excellent exercise for the crabs - GREAT entertainment and convo piece for you!! ;) If you have small crabs, you can get a small wheel and modifiy it.

They could have been digging down to destress, but regardless, you never want to dig for them unless it is an emergency. Your substrate needs to be sandcastle consistency. EE is great at holding moisture, but it can also easily get oversaturated. You could mix the ee with plays and (get from lowe's, home depot, toys r us)- usually mixed to a 5: 1 ratio (sand to ee)

What kind of top do you have for your tank?

I wouldn't mist the fake plants. That would cause water to drip - also not necessary to have sponges. That is an old practice.

For pools a lot of us use tupperware containers. The pools need to be deep enough for them to fully submerge themselves, and safe enough for them to get out of.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:16 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:I'm still very new. I have 3 small crabbies in a 15 gal tank. But with all the accessories there's not much place for them to walk around. And I have no room to put in a pool. And I can't set up a bubbler for humidity, which I'm having a real problem maintaining. But...I can't move them into the 40 gal tank I just got them because one of my guys has been buried for 3wks. Of course I don't know if he's moulting. And I can't disturb him in case he is. Although from what I've read he didn't have pre moulting signs. I had just moved them from the small pet shop cage they were in (only 2) that my daughter had them in for 3 months. I don't know what to do. And I think my substrate is too moist. I am using only eco earth. But I have to mist alot. I don't mist the floor only the fake plants. I have a piece of moss and a sponge. Help.

What is most important is that they have places to dig down to molt. They do need places to walk around. To help with exercise, some of us use modified hamster wheels. I have three in my 100g, and 1 in each of my other three crabitats. I highly recommend them! Excellent exercise for the crabs - GREAT entertainment and convo piece for you!! ;) If you have small crabs, you can get a small wheel and modifiy it.

They could have been digging down to destress, but regardless, you never want to dig for them unless it is an emergency. Your substrate needs to be sandcastle consistency. EE is great at holding moisture, but it can also easily get oversaturated. You could mix the ee with plays and (get from lowe's, home depot, toys r us)- usually mixed to a 5: 1 ratio (sand to ee)

I wouldn't mist the fake plants. That would cause water to drip - also not necessary to have sponges. That is an old practice.

For pools a lot of us use tupperware containers. The pools need to be deep enough for them to fully submerge themselves, and safe enough for them to get out of.
thanks! there would be no room for a hamster wheel, although i would love to get one when they are in a bigger tank. and the substrate ratio is really more sand to ee? do i need to moisten the sand? obviously i have to moisten the ee (if i get in brick form). so does the sand get moisture from that?
re misting fake plants - i read somewhere that is where to mist, they love it. lol. ok. no more misting fake plants. i put the sponge on one of the fake plants. not in the water dish. it seems to help with humidity. i only use one sponge and one large piece of moss.
oh, the top - i have a screen but sealed with a shower liner and only spot that is unsealed is where the light dome is.
the uth that is attached to the outside back of tank - i have an aquarium background behind it then tinfoil covering that to try and hold in heat.
while i have your attention, lol, our latest guy's shell looks like it has dried cement on it.??? their diet doesn't affect their shells, right? i wish i had more space to place more extra shells in there. i just wish i had more space and could transfer them to the larger tank.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:24 pm

aprilmay wrote:Welcome to HCA! I'm making some comments in line below. but you might want to fill in this template so the experts can help you with more focused suggestions based on your setup.
Cherylco55 wrote:I'm still very new. I have 3 small crabbies in a 15 gal tank. But with all the accessories there's not much place for them to walk around. And I have no room to put in a pool.
First of all, crab doesn't need that much open space. they actually prefer to walk on an obstacle course! :) they are really good climbers.
Secondly, water source is important. i would trade some accessories for one fresh water and one salt water pool/plate/dish/tupperware, since you have small crabs, maybe your dish/tupperware can be on the small size.
Cherylco55 wrote:And I can't set up a bubbler for humidity, which I'm having a real problem maintaining.
what kind of lid do you have? is it completely sealed? with my 15gl, i found out if i'm using UTH on the side and a very well sealed lid, i can maintain pretty high humidity without a bubbler.

out of curiosity, what's preventing you from setting a bubbler? it is pretty simple, just a small pump, a tube and an airstone.
Cherylco55 wrote:But...I can't move them into the 40 gal tank I just got them because one of my guys has been buried for 3wks. Of course I don't know if he's moulting.
you could move the 2 above ground to the 40 gl. it is actually better to move them now cuz you don't know whether they will bury when the other one is up!
Cherylco55 wrote:And I can't disturb him in case he is. Although from what I've read he didn't have pre moulting signs. I had just moved them from the small pet shop cage they were in (only 2) that my daughter had them in for 3 months. I don't know what to do. And I think my substrate is too moist. I am using only eco earth. But I have to mist alot. I don't mist the floor only the fake plants. I have a piece of moss and a sponge. Help.
I think i understand how you feel. i was spray like crazy before i figured out using a heat lamp kept on zapping my humidity! UTH is much better.

again, try to fill in the template and we can go from there! Things will get better! hang in there.
i thought i replied to this but i guess it didn't go through. i have a screen lid, sealed well with a shower liner. only spot not sealed is where the light bulb is. i have a uth on the back, with an aquarium liner behind it then tinfoil behind that to try and keep in heat.
i have a salt water dish and freshwater. but they aren't large enough for them to submerge. or large enough for a bubbler.
i wouldn't have room to set up the 40gal and move the other 2 (although one of them is now buried i think) if i still leave the 15gal set up. it's like playing whack a mole! one goes down, another might come up, another might go down?????? how does anyone ever move them??

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:

thanks! there would be no room for a hamster wheel, although i would love to get one when they are in a bigger tank. and the substrate ratio is really more sand to ee? do i need to moisten the sand? obviously i have to moisten the ee (if i get in brick form). so does the sand get moisture from that?
re misting fake plants - i read somewhere that is where to mist, they love it. lol. ok. no more misting fake plants. i put the sponge on one of the fake plants. not in the water dish. it seems to help with humidity. i only use one sponge and one large piece of moss.
oh, the top - i have a screen but sealed with a shower liner and only spot that is unsealed is where the light dome is.
the uth that is attached to the outside back of tank - i have an aquarium background behind it then tinfoil covering that to try and hold in heat.
while i have your attention, lol, our latest guy's shell looks like it has dried cement on it.??? their diet doesn't affect their shells, right? i wish i had more space to place more extra shells in there. i just wish i had more space and could transfer them to the larger tank.
You hang the hamster wheel upside down, off of the substrate :) Yes, the ratio is 5:1 more sand than ee. In your case you said your substrate was already oversaturated, so you may not need to add anymore water to your sub when you mix it. I personally prefer to mix my sub with dechlorinated msw. You would mix to make it sandcastle consistency. Misting the fake plants can lead to flooding your substrate. I would refrain from it. Things to help with humidity: Moss pits (you have one), Glass top, bubblers in the water bowls. Does your tank get light from the room? It isn't necessary for them to have a light. Do you have a heater? Hmm...l would probably refrain from the shower liner. Nowadays a lot of companies use chemicals on shower liners so they are mold resistant. You would be better to use saran wrap, or a piece of acrylic, or press n seal on your mesh lid. That's me! ;) For the shell - was it painted? Did it have something glued on it? Their diet doesn't transfer to the shell, but they can modifiy shells to their liking. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote: Hi! :)

You hang the hamster wheel upside down, off of the substrate :) Yes, the ratio is 5:1 more sand than ee. In your case you said your substrate was already oversaturated, so you may not need to add anymore water to your sub when you mix it. I personally prefer to mix my sub with dechlorinated msw. You would mix to make it sandcastle consistency. Misting the fake plants can lead to flooding your substrate. I would refrain from it. Things to help with humidity: Moss pits (you have one), Glass top, bubblers in the water bowls. Does your tank get light from the room? It isn't necessary for them to have a light. Do you have a heater? Hmm...l would probably refrain from the shower liner. Nowadays a lot of companies use chemicals on shower liners so they are mold resistant. You would be better to use saran wrap, or a piece of acrylic, or press n seal on your mesh lid. That's me! ;) For the shell - was it painted? Did it have something glued on it? Their diet doesn't transfer to the shell, but they can modifiy shells to their liking. :)
The shell looks natural. No paint. I'll try saran wrap but the shower liner is a cheap one from the dollar store so I doubt is mold resistant but I'll change it. I looked up fluker's sand and to fill a 40 gal tank would cost ALOT. I assume i can mix that with coconut fiber so I would need less bags of sand? Right now there is no sand at all. I can imagine they would really like some sand. And I read it comes moist already.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Oh goodness- don’t buy flukers sand! That would be PRICEY!!! Do you have a Lowe’s or HomeDepot by you? They sell Quickrete All Purpose Sand 50 LB bag $4 maybe $5. Play sand is even cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:37 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Oh goodness- don’t buy flukers sand! That would be PRICEY!!! Do you have a Lowe’s or HomeDepot by you? They sell Quickrete All Purpose Sand 50 LB bag $4 maybe $5. Play sand is even cheaper! Image

Lol. Ok. You convinced me. But the pricey stuff is already mixed with salt and calcium and probiotics. So, just more sand than coconut stuff. And sand gets mixed with some dechlorinated salt water, right? When I buy the instant ocean, is it easy to mix up?

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:24 pm

If the shell looks natural and not painted then it's probably a natural ocean deposits like salt and possibly calcium not exactly sure of the composition but it's Normal. I've had several empty shells and crabs in shells with this on it. They actually like to pick it off and eat it lol
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Oh goodness- don’t buy flukers sand! That would be PRICEY!!! Do you have a Lowe’s or HomeDepot by you? They sell Quickrete All Purpose Sand 50 LB bag $4 maybe $5. Play sand is even cheaper! Image

Lol. Ok. You convinced me. But the pricey stuff is already mixed with salt and calcium and probiotics. So, just more sand than coconut stuff. And sand gets mixed with some dechlorinated salt water, right? When I buy the instant ocean, is it easy to mix up?

I personally don't recommend the Flukers because of the Calcium in it. It can harden like cement when wet. Probiotics aren't needed in sand either.

What I have done is just wet my brick of ee with the dechlorinated msw - and usually that has been enough to moisten my sand :) If you can stick a pencil or a chopstick into it and it hold form, then you have it sandcastle consistency :) Instant Ocean is very simple to mix! 1/2 of a cup IO to 1 gallon of dechlorinated water. :)

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:

I personally don't recommend the Flukers because of the Calcium in it. It can harden like cement when wet. Probiotics aren't needed in sand either.

What I have done is just wet my brick of ee with the dechlorinated msw - and usually that has been enough to moisten my sand :) If you can stick a pencil or a chopstick into it and it hold form, then you have it sandcastle consistency :) Instant Ocean is very simple to mix! 1/2 of a cup IO to 1 gallon of dechlorinated water. :)
Ok. I have read that calcium sand hardens but others say flukers is wonderful. But it's expensive so I'll stick with play sand. does the gravity have to be measured? I read in the directions to do that.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:52 pm

No, if you mix according to directions you should be fine the specific gravity is more for the msw fish tanks

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:42 pm

GotButterflies wrote:No, if you mix according to directions you should be fine Image the specific gravity is more for the msw fish tanks Image

Great! Thank you.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
aprilmay wrote:Welcome to HCA! I'm making some comments in line below. but you might want to fill in this template so the experts can help you with more focused suggestions based on your setup.

i thought i replied to this but i guess it didn't go through. i have a screen lid, sealed well with a shower liner. only spot not sealed is where the light bulb is. i have a uth on the back, with an aquarium liner behind it then tinfoil behind that to try and keep in heat.
i have a salt water dish and freshwater. but they aren't large enough for them to submerge. or large enough for a bubbler.
i wouldn't have room to set up the 40gal and move the other 2 (although one of them is now buried i think) if i still leave the 15gal set up. it's like playing whack a mole! one goes down, another might come up, another might go down?????? how does anyone ever move them??

You suggested moving the 2 above ground to the 40. I'm actually considering this. But then...I would need double uth's, double light domes/bulbs. :roll:
I'm just getting very anxious to move them. I want to give them pools. Their water dishes now aren't even close to being able to submerge. I'm probably repeating myself from before. Lol