Poop

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Poop

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:44 am

I find the scooper doesn't work well...at all...to scoop out debris. As if I could tell what hermit crab poop looks like. If I shake it a bit, like mining for gold, everything falls out. I'm guessing it was a waste of money.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Poop

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:17 am

I have never bought the scoop -but have obtained a few through adoptions. I don't use them. They make a couple of different kinds. Yes, poop looks kind of like a brown stick. Maybe a 1/2 an inch long.

A lot of us have isopods. They will help keep your crabitat clean by eating the poop, and any food that your crabs carry around the tank. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:07 am

GotButterflies wrote:I have never bought the scoop -but have obtained a few through adoptions. I don't use them. They make a couple of different kinds. Yes, poop looks kind of like a brown stick. Maybe a 1/2 an inch long.

A lot of us have isopods. They will help keep your crabitat clean by eating the poop, and any food that your crabs carry around the tank. :)
Thank you. I'm a bit squeamish so no isopods please. :|
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Lol! Yw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:41 pm

My crabs tend to leave most of their poop in the water pools or in neat little piles around the tat but I rarely see it out side of the water when I do I just scoop it out with a scallop shell.

I have six crabs and don't see much poop at all but my daughters have two dwarf hamsters and I sware all they do is poop! They are like poop dispensers! Poop poop everywhere poop! They make more poop in one day than I think all my crabs have made since I got them like almost a year ago! :lol:
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:My crabs tend to leave most of their poop in the water pools or in neat little piles around the tat but I rarely see it out side of the water when I do I just scoop it out with a scallop shell.

I have six crabs and don't see much poop at all but my daughters have two dwarf hamsters and I sware all they do is poop! They are like poop dispensers! Poop poop everywhere poop! They make more poop in one day than I think all my crabs have made since I got them like almost a year ago! :lol:
:lol:

Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:30 am

I don't have isopods and my crabs aren't considerate enough to leave their poo in one place (besides their wheel...). I am proficient in using chopsticks though, so I got a cheap wood pair and use them to pick up the poo. Honestly I think some plastic reptile feeding tongs would be easier, but I'm not about to pay $4 for those...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Plastic spoons work good too!
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

S.C.

Post by S.C. » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:Plastic spoons work good too!
That's what I use to spot clean the sub, too. Mine poop a lot in the moss dish, on their big tree branch, and sometimes in their water bowls. The tree branch seems to be their favorite place to do it, though. I have to shake it out every few days.

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:54 pm

I found a pair of tweezers in a cosmetic kit I never used ave have been using that but I think the longer reptile ones would be better for the extended reach

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 am

mjjluver wrote:I found a pair of tweezers in a cosmetic kit I never used ave have been using that but I think the longer reptile ones would be better for the extended reach
I've never cleaned poop out of my crab tanks other than in water dishes and shells while rinsing.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 am

soilentgringa wrote:
mjjluver wrote:I found a pair of tweezers in a cosmetic kit I never used ave have been using that but I think the longer reptile ones would be better for the extended reach
I've never cleaned poop out of my crab tanks other than in water dishes and shells while rinsing.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
That's so good to know soilentgringa! I guess if crabs were medium to large, poop would be an issue, but my guys are small. I'm with you. No cleaning poop. :clap:

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:23 am

Happyhermiehome wrote:Plastic spoons work good too!
I was just going to say that! I have a pretty pink one from the ice cream shop that changes to purple when it gets cold. Why not have fun with a crabby pooperscooper!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram