UTH Questions & Help

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Re: UTH Questions & Help

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:17 pm

My UT UTH took just 3 days to arrive after purchase.
Anytime I bought a ZM UTH, they died out after a whole year of using it.

Anywhoo, talking crabitat. My crabitat has been hanging around 83 - 84 since yesterday because the weather warmed up.
The forecast for tomorrow is supposed to cold, and rain.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:08 am

Cherylco55 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:I love the ones from http://www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com Image I don’t care for the zoomed heaters-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really didn't want to wait for it to be shiiped. I just boight the zilla 24 watt. We'll see.
The 24 watt seems to be helping. I still have the 8 watt up. Temp's not quite reaching 80 but the humidity is higher. And I put alot more foliage in there yesterday, a 2nd story shell shack, another hidey place, and they seemed alot more active last night. Now the fun begins. Lol.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 am

Sounds cool!
I'm reinforcing my straw hammock for my crabitat.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:I love the ones from http://www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com Image I don’t care for the zoomed heaters-

I really didn't want to wait for it to be shiiped. I just boight the zilla 24 watt. We'll see.
The 24 watt seems to be helping. I still have the 8 watt up. Temp's not quite reaching 80 but the humidity is higher. And I put alot more foliage in there yesterday, a 2nd story shell shack, another hidey place, and they seemed alot more active last night. Now the fun begins. Lol.

Temp still isn't quite at 80 and humidity still pretty low. 68-70%. The mesh lid is sealed pretty good. Almost completely. I don't know what else to do to get humidity up.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:11 pm

I personally don’t like zoomed for that reason. They are expensive, don’t heat that well, and then you stick them once onto the tank. Anyways....okay- how deep is your substrate? Deeper substrate helps with humidity. I definitely think glass tops help too! I know those are pricey though. Is your hygrometer calibrated?

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I personally don’t like zoomed for that reason. They are expensive, don’t heat that well, and then you stick them once onto the tank. Anyways....okay- how deep is your substrate? Deeper substrate helps with humidity. I definitely think glass tops help too! I know those are pricey though. Is your hygrometer calibrated?

It's not a zoomed. It's zilla. I don't know if that's any better. 5 inches. I looked up how to calibrate. Seemed really difficult. I have 2. One on each end. I can switch them and see if they measure the same as the other.

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:38 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I personally don’t like zoomed for that reason. They are expensive, don’t heat that well, and then you stick them once onto the tank. Anyways....okay- how deep is your substrate? Deeper substrate helps with humidity. I definitely think glass tops help too! I know those are pricey though. Is your hygrometer calibrated?

Quick question about glass tops (sorry to interject on another post) -- can they still get enough air with a glass or plastic top if you don't have air lines / stones in the tank?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:44 pm

The air exchange will be enough when you open it to change out food, water, and to clean out poop

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Do you have bubbler pools? My crabitat is absolutely perfect humidity with those.:) I live in Florida and I use a 24 watt Zilla Uth with a thermostat and my tank stays at 83 degrees. We keep our AC set at 81 constantly so :crabbigsmile: my house conditions are way different than those who live in a cold state.

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 pm

GotButterflies wrote:The air exchange will be enough when you open it to change out food, water, and to clean out poop Image

Yay, thank you! Image

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk