Live plants list

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Live plants list

Post by Da_Stos208 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi! I've been trying to find live plants to put in the tat that won't immediatly fall victim to the crabs, but with no single thread dedicated to this, I've had to scroll through past threads looking.

So I've decided to make a list of all the live plants that Ive read can be kept in the crabitat, as well as weather or not they will immediatly get eaten.

Pothos {aka devils ivy} (durable)
Christmas cactus (flimsy)
All? air plants (will get eaten)
Chia (Eaten very quickly)
Wandering jew (will get eaten)

Thats all the ones I can think of at the moment.
Feel free to add to my list or correct any wrong information!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Last edited by Da_Stos208 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Live plants list

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:21 pm

I think grape vines would not appreciate the constant high heat and humidity.

Christmas cactus is rather flimsy,, so i think it get destroyed quickly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Does anyone know if the purple leaf plum tree is safe? It doesn't actually produce plums. I have them in my yard and wanted to put a branch in my tank.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:22 pm

no clue. What is it related to?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Da_Stos208 wrote:no clue. What is it related to?

No clue. Lol. Here's what I found if it helps at all:
The scientific name for this species is Prunus cerasifera and it is a member of the Rosaceae family.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 am

Send a close up pic of its branch and leaves. just a small twig will do, and make sure the leaf buds are visible.

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 pm

If you ID'd it correctly (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, plant ID-ing is tricky), then the plant itself should be safe. Its in the plum family, and plums are safe, and i didnt find any mention of built-in insecticide. It also is susceptible to a lot of arthropod pests, so it probably isnt toxic to the crabs.

However. I would be cautious of any chemicals used on the plant. If you spray for mosquitos, use chemical fertiliser for the tree or the lawn around it, or use any other pesticide, fertiliser, etc. that comes into direct (fertilising the tree, using pesticides on it) or indirect (it absorbs any weed killer or fertiliser you put on your lawn through its roots, which reach very far. water that runs off your patio and gets absorbed into the soil could also wash anything in its path into its roots), i wouldnt use it.

hayhay528

Post by hayhay528 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm

i plant sunflower seeds in mine and the crabs will munch the sprouts. definitely not something that lasts long but they are quick and easy to sprout. you can also plant them in your yard and grow them until they seed, leaving you with a constant sprout supply :)

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 pm

You could get the stalk of lettuce or bok choy and it would grow (and the crabs would even eat it)!
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Da_Stos208 wrote:Send a close up pic of its branch and leaves. just a small twig will do, and make sure the leaf buds are visible.

Here they areImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Da_Stos208 wrote:If you ID'd it correctly (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, plant ID-ing is tricky), then the plant itself should be safe. Its in the plum family, and plums are safe, and i didnt find any mention of built-in insecticide. It also is susceptible to a lot of arthropod pests, so it probably isnt toxic to the crabs.

However. I would be cautious of any chemicals used on the plant. If you spray for mosquitos, use chemical fertiliser for the tree or the lawn around it, or use any other pesticide, fertiliser, etc. that comes into direct (fertilising the tree, using pesticides on it) or indirect (it absorbs any weed killer or fertiliser you put on your lawn through its roots, which reach very far. water that runs off your patio and gets absorbed into the soil could also wash anything in its path into its roots), i wouldnt use it.

We don't use any fertilizer or pesticides. Not because we are natural but because we are lazy. Lol. But if a neighbor uses on their plants, I guess it could run off to our property in the rain. Would that be an issue?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
Da_Stos208 wrote:If you ID'd it correctly (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, plant ID-ing is tricky), then the plant itself should be safe. Its in the plum family, and plums are safe, and i didnt find any mention of built-in insecticide. It also is susceptible to a lot of arthropod pests, so it probably isnt toxic to the crabs.

We don't use any fertilizer or pesticides. Not because we are natural but because we are lazy. Lol. But if a neighbor uses on their plants, I guess it could run off to our property in the rain. Would that be an issue?

We bought the trees. I id'd it right.

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 pm

I had no idea pothos was crab safe! I just got 4 large potted pothos from my mother in law a few weeks ago. They are very easy to cut and root. I'd like to take cuttings and try them in my tank but I have no idea what kind of soil they've been potted in. Does any one know How many generations of cuttings would have to do till I get one that is potentially chem/fert free?
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Only if they are uphill from your property or the tree is right on the border between your two properties. I'd ask them either way. if your yard tends tp flood when it rains hard then I'll bet its the low point where all the water flows down to.