Parents won’t let me care for my hermit crabs properly pleas

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
HermitCrabGirl03

Parents won’t let me care for my hermit crabs properly pleas

Post by HermitCrabGirl03 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:45 am

Hello. I have two purple pincher hermit crabs who used to live in a 20 gallon long with all the things they could ever need. Toys, shells, freshwater and saltwater fish, climbing things, six inches of eco earth sand mix, heat, moisture and a plentiful food supply. My parents made me get rid of the 20 long because it was “too big” and they had “more space than they needed” they made me put them in a 5 gallon aquarium. A FIVE GALLON. I can barely fit one hut in there and they have NO ROOM. I am so mad. I can’t even fit six inches substrate only like 3. It’s very aggravating and they aren’t listening to my point. I want at least a 10 gallon which we had sitting in our garage for a year but they got rid of that too. I’m so upset they don’t understand. I’m even trying to ask for a 10 gallon for Christmas but they are like “No that’s not a gift” i even offered to buy one with my own money as well as a heater and a lid but they don’t like that idea either. They won’t even listen to my points. My dad says “They seem to LOVE their 5 gallon” no they don’t! They aren’t nearly as active as they used to be. Not to mention the stupid five gallon has a giant hole in the top that i try to cover up with tape but then the tank loses its moisture and humidity. Can someone help me? Please :(

piratetoothgir

Re: Parents won’t let me care for my hermit crabs properly p

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:27 am

Oh, I’m sorry to hear this.
I think they were fine in the 20 long, not the five.

I’d show your parents this forum, and show them other sources you can find on the internet.
Be very insistent, and do not give in!
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Exactly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freckles24

Post by Freckles24 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Try to show them your research and the specific gallon requirements (as you know 5 gal per crab minimum). They are being unreasonable when I was about 12 the only thing I wanted for Christmas was a 10 gallon for my tree frog that was in a plastic carrier. Thankfully my parents agreed and bought me one (they're less than $20 I think?) Anyways there are so many myths about hermit crabs out there and they probably have bought into them. Maybe you can shock them with horror stories of surface molts and territory fights and cannibalism. I'm not really sure because I don't know how your family is.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:26 pm

You are awesome and intelligent and don't let anyone - even your family - ever talk you down into feeling that you aren't! You are totally doing the right thing here, don't ever loose that urge to carry through with what you know is right. I'm not sure how long you have to go until you get to make your own choices, but hang in there, it will feel like forever but it isn't and when you get your freedom you will do great things!!

As for the problem at hand, if your family is buckling down and refusing to do the right thing there isn't much of an option aside from finding a way to get them to someone who can give them what they need. If they are regular sized hermits that 5 gallon will not have enough space to let them molt safely. Have you been given a way to provide heating? That will cause serious problems as well if they are too cold! Do you have any friends who could quietly help?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:51 pm

I can understand where your comming from... similar has happened with my aquariums in the past and to this day where they still think that I'm in the wrong.

Your parents do sound like lovely people, just misinformed. If possible, try to get them om here so they can learn themselves on why a larger tank is a good idea... or if they (you) prefer, print it out and try to get your family to read the care guides.

Another thing that many kids do is 'bargaining' of some kind. Be more helpful around the house, consider suggesting to get better marks at school ect. Even consider doing things like a powerpoint presentation on why they need a bigger tank - all of us can help you there. ;)

It's something that i learned over the years is to just do it and then worry about the consequences later. Not exactly the best advise from someone over the internet, as it may cause a lot of problems but its something that worked for me in ensuring my animals health was the best i could provide at the time.

If cost is the issue, have you suggested keeping them in a tote?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies